WiFi (IEEE 802.11) is really a neat option to physical hard-wired setups (structured cabling systems) - especially for the Home Office users with Laptops.

Not having to install cabling (tearing into walls, etc.) is a nice trade-off.

Having said that, the technology leaves users wide open to intrusion by Hacks of all levels
- low end Hacks (creators of flakey lame E-mail WORMS which are simple to identify);
to the most skilled ones - Guys/Gals that write stuff like Melissa and such (have really intelligent password and credit card number harvesters).

No Security is 100% Security, so keep this in mind at all times!

Myself, I have no crucial (read $$$) information on my machines - only the EE stuff that bores many, many, many-many-many people!

Even this still detours me from using WiFi on my home LAN. Not all conserns are lack of privacy, there is also the irritation of dropped packets from RFI found from many sources besides Radios (Cell Phones, Cordless Phones, etc.).

Being in a Neighborhood with many HAM users, I would not want to contribute to added nuiscance noise in their bands (making things suck for them), or transient interference stepping into my LAN (making things suck for me).
Judging from the Antennas, they have all bands covered - from the lower 10 Meter VHF upto UHF, plus some CB users - all within a 10 House radius.

Back to the topic...
Do any Wireless LAN setups have ability to employ encryption in the "Close to Strong" ranges?
Like 32 Bit, 64 Bit or actual Strong Encryption (128 Bit).
That would at least detour intrusion for some time.

Need to do studies in this area of technology, so I have actual answers and things to contribute, instead of questions and speculation!

So anyhow, what was the question??? [Linked Image]...
just kidding...

Scott35

BTW, had to edit a run-on sentence. I do not like those sentences they make it hard to read the message gets ambiguous and sometimes can be read wrong so you can see why I am so conserned about run on sentences like this one...
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Scott35 (edited 03-18-2004).]

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!