Not that I know any better but I seem to remember Microsoft was trying to distance themselves from DOS. Allthough in my terms Windows XX is only a Graphics User Interface(GUI) based on a DOS (Disk Operating System). Albeit it looks pretty good from the early days of WIN 1, 2 and 3 that you started from a DOS command. The main competition (yet to make a big inroad) such as LINUX or other GUI's that provide a desktop and other toys are still waiting to be discovered

MICROSOFT allows a DOS session or multiple if there is enough memory, up to WIN-ME. Ol' Billy Gates still doesn't like to remember of whence windows came and would rather be know as "the operating system" rather than just a GUI.

I still like to start my old version of ACAD 14 as a DOS based program so I don't have to buy a new E-sized plotter. In this process I have a removable hard drive with WINDOWS and a second 4gig hard drive strictly for DOS. (Love that DOS) I do use ACAD for windows for quick fixes and the like but being an old DOS man (person) I find DOS more stable.

If you have the time try running MS Sys-Info
to see if there are any DOS drivers reported in the software environment.

I understand you are concerned with XP but there should be some answeres on MS FAQ and the HELP program that come with the XP package.

Anyway, I forgot to ask what program is it that you require a DOS session for?

Doug ....et al