I think it's a terrible way to treat customers. I don't know about Sweden, but in many countries Internet use has yet to reach even 50% of homes, I believe. So what are the people without access to the Net supposed to do?

Banks and other places in Britain are offering internet services, although they're not trying quite this hard to force them upon people.

Persuading folks to use their call centers is another matter. Just try writing to an insurance company to get a quote these days. If they bother to answer at all, you'll just get a short note back saying "Call our customer quote line on...." or something similar. They simply will not quote by mail, even though you give them all the information they need.

The drone you speak to on the phone will then read through his or her script, and you'll have to put up with all the spiel: "We monitor and record calls for training and security purposes. Do you understand that the answers you give form part of your contract and any incorrect information may invalidate your cover?" and so on.

Of course, before you even get to speak to a human being you have to go through "Press 1 for a home insurance quote, press 2 for a car quote, press 3 to make a claim" etc. [Linked Image]

The banks are doing the same with phone service. I can no longer call my local branch with a query. I have to call the "Regional Customer Care Call Centre," which is in Peterborough, about 70 miles away.

I'll tell you about what the police are doing, if you like..... [Linked Image]