I was looking at the schematic [more like a pictorial, but so what!] with a bit more detail today, when this came to mind:

I kind of thought that the GFCI elements in this type of circuitry would be connected L-L, not L-N!!
I figured this since they are mass produced items for either 240 VAC or 120/240 VAC use, plus some crackpot ideas of mine [loss of one Line or open neutral cannot trip device - told you it's crackpot!! [Linked Image]].

So much for me thinking, huh??

Now, all this talk about being fried from both lines to ground [leakage ground faults] at the same time and of equal intensity has me wondering if this has happened before, and if so, how many times??
It could happen!!
Wouldn't want to be that human conductor [not the ones that ride in cabooses] caught not only between both lines, but also to ground!!
OWWWWW---CCCCHHHH!!!
Meanwhile, the GFCI sensing items are confident that all is OK with the flowing currents, so why trip?!
Again - OWWWWW---CCCCHHH!!!!

On a non-related note [Linked Image], the "Conductor" and "Caboose" thing reminded me of something I say often in the field:

When someone asks if I am an Engineer, I'll say - Yes! I drive the Cannonball from Hooterville to Pettycoat Junction!!
[then after they are completely convinced that I am looney, I'll mention something towards EE].

This is only for fun, not thrown at any clients [unless they have sense of humor, then there's no holding back!!].

Got a lot of strange reactions from that one!!

Time for some meds [joke]

P.S. - what was the original pictorial setup like before Bill edited it?? was it a connection mistake or just difficult to read??

Scott SET - local Cannonball steam locomotive operator on silly 60's sitcoms.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!