Well, I can explain this stuff if you guys want me to, but it's gonna be some extreme "Twilight Zone" stuff [Linked Image]

There's a message I posted in the Theory Section, which can briefly explain the fundamentals behind energy transfer [power transfer]. Look for a message called "Power Transmission Analogy" or something like that.

To be honest, almost all charges leaving the power supply return back in the closed circuit and normal flow. However, the detailed physics of how electrical circuits function requires "Conductor Charging", plus allows multiple branched circuits, so not every charge "Pumped" into the conductor gets "Pushed" through the load, then back to the power supply.
To complicate things even more, throw in Quantum Physics and the Theory of Light [Electro-Magnetic Radiation]. This would have Photons being produced from the load, either in the form of heat [infrared light], or in visible white light, which would require the loss / atraction of some mass for the Photons to be generated.
That loss would be primarily in the load element it's self, but would also apply to normal conductors - especially using AC, as they would produce Electro-Magnetic Radiation, in the form of extremely low frequency waves, which will be "Thrown" away from the conductors.
At, or around 10,000 Hz, the volume of stuff leaving the conductors becomes real excessive - thus the conductor produces Radio Frequency [the dreaded source of RFI!!].

If you guys want me to write up something about this baloney, let me know. I will have to make the message long, as usual, in order to explain things fully - however I will not go beyond the limits of Practical Electrophysics [stay in the basics of the theory for Electrical Circuitry only - no Quantum stuff, no major physics either].

Having a firm understanding of Atomic structures is needed, in order to grasp this stuff. Understanding the consepts of energy is also needed [should go hand in hand with the Atomic Structures knowledge]. If you have any books that describe Semiconductor principles, these would be the best way to visualize the flows, as this theory is a great aid for basic circuit flows.

If you do want this message [may be clear that you have Nerd-Like tendecies [Linked Image]], then I'll type one out in a word processor, then Copy/Paste it to the Theory section.

A quick note to the original Q is that nearly all charges flow out from the power supply, then through the load - where the energy induced into the electrical circuitry is transduced into another form of energy, then the charges return to the power supply.
While Electrons - or Charge Carriers - are flowing from the polarity with the higher negative potential towards the polarity with the higher Positive Potential [or a lower Negative Potential], there is an equal, but opposite flow of Positive Charges from the polarity with the higher Positive Potential, to the polarity with the higher Negative potential [or lower Positive potential]. Each flows through the circuit and the load.
Picture this first, then apply it to the charge transfer breakdowns that will be explained later.

With a fixed Resistance value, Lower pressures [voltages, or Electro-Motive Forces "EMF"] will push fewer charges through that load, with a resulting lower power transfered.
Example, if a fixed Resistor has a value of 100 ohms, and a power supply that has a voltage of 100 volts was applied to it, the level of current that can be pushed through that resistor at 100 volts would be 1.0 Amps, with a power dissipated [and required to be put into the power supply] of 100 watts.
If this same resistor, with the value of 100 ohms resistance, was connected to a power supply that has a voltage of 200 volts, the level of current that can now be pushed through the resistor is 2.0 Amps, with a power dissipated [and required to be put into the power supply] of 400 watts.
Linear loads respond to the amount of power that the supply is delivering to the load, so the same resistor varies drammatically according to the voltage present.
In a round about way, the energy transfered to the load is a result of X amount of charges pushed through it at X level of pressure.

If you can grasp this bunch of baloney, then you will easily understand the extreme geek stuff that I will post later [if you guys really want it [Linked Image]]

As far as the Color Temerature thing, that would need to be a separate message - it doesn't relate to the current flow at all.
This relates to what has been determined to fall into a temperature, using the Kelvin Scale, that responds to a level of color in the combined white light spectrum.
A certain Fundamental Frequency of light will have a color temperature of X degrees Kelvin. Mixed tones [like "pink noise" in sound] will have a fundamental which is distorted by lower and upper tones - very similar to harmonic distortion. This new "semitone" of light will have a K temp that corresponds to it's fundamental Hz, along with the distortions from the "Side Bands".

As with any other Electro-Magnetic Radiation, Visible white light [plus the seven basic fundamental colors it's comprised of] have Resonant Frequencies.
Applying these to a "Black Body" determins their Color Temperature [I think it works that way [Linked Image] Let me double check that].
The Color Temp will also coorespond in the power dissipated according to the wave length.
With EMR above Infrared, it's easier to figure wave length [Angstroms], rather than frequency.

I can add another message on this stuff to the Theory area if you guys want. Let me know.

I do want to point out that you guys have a very good understanding of this stuff, as I have seen in this thread.
It's something that will never be applied to day to day trade related installations, plus is never even applied to Electrical Engineering designs of projects [a small exception exists, though].
Nevertheless, it's great to see such an interest from you guys in this area. It is something nice to know, just so the stuff you install is not so "mysterious".

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!