hi,
thanks for the reply. as i stated in the first post, the readings at the SUPPLY panel are normal. and no i did not take any readings with a load applied. none of the equipment will work now.

everything was working normal up to the point of the digging. there is adequate voltage in the L1 circuit to neutral.

the L2 is not grounded at all so there is no wire exposed to ground that i can tell.

i am assuming that the wire was damaged. i will be able to physically look at the cable tommorrow.

i will let you all know what i find. i am hoping the wire is damaged.

i do not think it is a voltage drop problem. if it were, the voltage would be inadequate in the L1 circuit. the circuits are virtually the same length.

the circuit breaker feeding the panel in the barn is a 40A. the actaul load is less than 20 A.

all readings were taken with no current being drawn. there is no point in taking current readings at thus point if you already have only 80V in one leg of a 240V system.

there is a tap that goes to a pool pump and a receptacle. these are protected by two 20A breakers at a panel near the pump. the voltage reading is normal at this point. it is approximately half way to the barn.

this is what is leading me to believe the cable was damaged. the homeowner is digging the line up where the backhoe was digging to expose the cable.

thanks for the input.

frodo