Rewired:

Oops, I did goof in my first post, for the record, any lightning arrestor will be external, not internal.

bizarre as it sounds, there was a red indicator light that was on all the time as well. Not sure if it had a secondary breaker either I only saw one switch handle mounted on the trans.

The red light is supposed to be a warning indicator, that the trans is operating on overload and the internal secondary breaker will trip at any time.

The external handle serves two purposes: It allows linemen to reset the internal breaker, and it can also be used to "temporarily" set the trip point some 150% higher. [Linked Image] Guess how long "temporary" is and what happens next? [Linked Image]

Big John:

Nope, the light doesn't indicate the status of the cutout, which is on the primary side. One of the reasons the linemen I have talked to hate the CSP's is because when that primary cutout opens, first there is no positive indication (other than an overall low voltage issue on the secondary lateral) and it can only be replaced in a transformer shop. So down goes the pot, and a new one goes up in its place. (Almost always a conventional style like in the pics above, with a new external cutout installed.)

Another reason the guys hate CSP's is because there have been failures that for some reason trip the secondary breaker, then when they try to reset it the pot explodes!!

Makes the job more interesting, eh? {sarcasm}

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 12-24-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.