techie: That's some list of experiences. We have similar backgrounds..I worked for a sound company in Nor Cal doing monitor mix systems and lighting, plus power hook-ups. Biggest nightmare was those who tried to "help" when they didn't have a clue. Like our one roadie who started to disconnect the feeder cam-loks ground first!! [Linked Image] I caught him just as he was about to pull the neutral. Oh, and the dimmer rack and my monitor board were still powered up at the time. Would've made some nice expensive fireworks for sure.

In fact, I'm gonna start a new thread about temp power hookups. Here it is:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006195.html

My rack has from top to bottom:
FurmanPL-Plus line conditioner, AMX AXCESS control system card cage with 4.2 amp P/S, Mitsubishi SAT Rcvr, Dolby CP-200 Cinema Processor, Ultra*Stereo CM-80 booth monitor, SIMA A/V auto switcher, Sherwood A/V rcvr [does the Dolby Digital and DTS digital from sat and DVD], Custom made 5" LCD monitor, Dual power supplies for the CP-200, APC 250VA Rack mount UPS [for Sat, AMX and CP-200], one QSC Series one 1100 amp [house audio] one QSC DCA-1644 Digital Cinema Amp (4ch, does l-c-r-sub) and one DCA-1622 Digital Cinema amp (L&R Surrounds). Amps are about 250-300 watts/ch for a room 12x15 feet.
Subwoofer is 18" EV TL-3512 [makes a great end table], surrounds are JBL 8330's from a theatre I upgraded. L,C,R are Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble, now about 23 years old!!

I also have a complete 35mm film projection system which is portable, I have lamphouses for 1-2Kw and 3-4.5kw xenon. I have a 35/70mm projector which I'm rebuilding.

Email me if ya want to know more!

Back on topic, now I can see the switch box in #2. Yeah, that would be a hard thing to fix with surface mount hardware. But if that is a faux brick finish, I would carefully pull it off the walll, cut in a run of romex to an old work box for the switch and replace the brick panel.

And your landlord should pay for it, no doubt. The install pictured is very unsafe and could leave him liable if anything should happen, say someone getting shocked from the ungrounded metal Wiremold box....

If you live in Orange county cali though, good luck. The landlords there have all the judges in thier pockets, they're never wrong.. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 08-06-2005).]

Stupid should be painful.