Electrical systems on farms often seem to be in a poor, neglected condition. Thanks to SimonUK for submitting the following:

I've a couple of pics of a 3 phase panel thats now open to the elements after a storm took the roof of a shed.

Heres the pics of the three phase socket and isolator that are in everyday use at the farm. The switch at the top is for the ancient diesel pump which is in shillings and pence so you can guess how old it is. The 3-phase plug is for the mig welder which is used nearly every day. The 3-pin plug is for the pressure washer and yes all the electrics get soaked every time its used. The juice comes in from the top and the cable exiting at the bottom goes under three feet of concrete for 50 feet to the slatted house.

I'm starting to work my way round the farm sorting out all the problems. I'm doing it for free as the farmer doesn't take anything off me for storage.

The list of defects is too large to type out here but just to give you an idea of what I'm up against I'll take pics of the main distribution panel tomorrow. You will see fuses that have been pulled for years because they "keep blowing" as soon as you fit them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Notes for the benefit of non-UK readers:

An item priced in shillings and pence will be pre-1971.

The 3-phase supply here will be our standard 4-wire wye system, 240/415V.

The switch-fuse unit pictured here is a very common type from a company called MEM (Midland Electrical Manufacturing). There are many still in service, although not usually quite so rusty as this one! -Paul.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-13-2004).]