Wait, I thought the whole point with these terminal strips was so that you could join two wires together by inserting one wire through one end and the other through the other end and clamping down with the screws, making sure the wires don't poke out of the sides in order to avoid danger of electric shock.

That's what those choc blocks are really intended for, hooking up light fixtures or appliances. however, they're _not_ rated for the full 10 or 16A of house wiring, unless you put all wires under the same screw. I think they'Re only rated 6A side-to-side.

On a web site of a restoration project I saw the carve-and-conduit style usd in the US, however, go to www.pleasantplainsfarm.com
Long ago joe Tedesco also posted a pic of a piece of BX buried in plaster, acceptable new wiring.
Solid brick walls sure beat drywall or plaster&lathe anytime!
Need the right tools to work on it though. Drywall saw and fish tape won't get you too far, you'll need cold chisel, sledgehammer and maybe a Hilti. Every sparky here has at least basic knowledge of plastering, otherwise they'll be out of the job pretty soon... if you do any retrofit work there won't be a plasterer on the job who fixes the walls after you're done.