Electricmanscott:

There were proposals submitted by Dan Leaf from California (are you there Dan?) to the NFPA for revision of the NEC that would have given the OK to use green for the identification of the GEC, but NEC Code Making Panel 5, responsible for Article 250 rejected that request, (it may have also been considered by CMP 6 for conductors) because they said it would add to the confusion, to an already confused and bewildered strange interpretation.

They also said that it could be any color, except green or white, and that if an installer, or so-called inspector didn't know what it was in the first place, they had no business inside of the equipment! It could be black for all they cared!

You got it right when you said the grounded conductor is white, and the EGC is green! I too am pissed off when it comes to foolishness on behalf of an electrical inspector, and I challange any electrical inspector who tries to call for a color on the GEC, or for any other item that makes no sense at all!

Don't get me started when it comes to this subject of a wannabe unqualified electrical inspector!!

Here's a good example of what you mentioned.

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 03-09-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant