cord cap.. (If thats what you call the ends over there

It would be called a trailing socket. [Linked Image]

Is that a shuttering device just above your thumb in the 2nd pic?.

Yes, all BS1363 sockets, including trailing types for extensions have a shutter. My thumb was keeping it open in order to get the picture.

Was the screw loose?

No, it was quite tight.

Is there a photo of the plug prongs on the heater that was in use with this?

Your wish is my command....... You can see that the line pin has certainly been getting warm:

[Linked Image]
You'll quite often find marks around the live pin on BS1363 plugs due to the heat buildup around the fuse and clips, especially on the cheap types where they've been run on higher currents. For those unfamiliar with BS1363, here's the inside of the plug where you can see that the top of the prong goes straight to the fuse:

[Linked Image]

A closer look at that prong:

[Linked Image]
The bright mark does line up with the contact on the socket (the plug was being withdrawn regularly to turn off the heater).

The socket looks like the type which would have been intended for garden tool extensions originally -- The orange color being a giveaway. Although BS1363 is normally rated for 13 amps, this one being part of such a low-power set was clearly never intended for such use:

[Linked Image]

I did run the heater on a known good socket for a while and noted the normal heat around the live pin after a half hour. It didn't seem unusually warm though, so I think given the evidence the best bet is poor prong/socket contact on a socket which was never really intended to run on 8 amps for extended periods.

The usual backtracking of heat down from the fuse could well have contributed to the problem after a few hours use though.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-19-2005).]