Greetings all, This is my first post!!
First off, i would like to make a few points, most older homes with lath usually have knob and tube wiring, if this was a knob and tube install i can see the reasoning for having the wire come through the ceiling without a box. Usually as an electrician i try to either install a ceiling box or at least get a ceiling fan pan box or some sort of box in there to make it a little more safe. But if all else fails a trip into the attic is probably the best idea, and installing a steel box and some bracing with a junction box to convert it from knob and tube into some romex. Now what confuses me here is that he has such a huge hole, i have fit alot of stuff in a hole the sixe of my fist, he could have easily put some 2x4 bracing onto a ceiling box and made it work that way, so running the wires through the wood like that doesn't make any sence, especially when he had all that working space and the new box in above it, oh well. keep up the good work fellas.. maybee i can catcha few photos here some day and send them in, i have seen some scary stuff.. and i have only been in the feild a year and a half