Bill:
In my area each city has a building code, but there is section 8 codes (which are Federal HUD ?) and also Health department codes. So if it a rental property it must comply with all, of course if the landlord doesnt rent to section 8's then those are eliminated. In this city the Inspector is contractor friendly and all that is needed is to ask and normally he will come out and tell you what he wants, and which one applies.
The county is pretty much the same, except the County health department doesnt usually get involved with electrical issues as the ccity health inspector does(Politics ? I think so)
Then there is the third city, a little west of me and they have a building code and must comply with the latest addition of the NEC but in 10 years of working there I have yet to get a copy of their Building book, its available and is printed, but to get a copy is well lets just say it requires a miracle.
However, the good news is in that city they use the same Electrical inspector as does the city mentioned above.

Mark