Iwire
You are correct that the only way to get effective and fair code enforcement is thru the local or state politicians. Of those that I have personally met, I would have to say that electrical or building code adoption and enforcement are NOT a priority.
As long as no large public outcry is heard, they will not take the time to do anything about it.
Even if they finally do adopt a code, it then has to be enforced by someone. Then comes the fight of getting inspectors on the payroll. Then will the local district attourney and judges even take the case?
I have seen cases where inspectors issue citations and nothing happens. If the local jurisdiction does not have criminal penalties for unlicensed people, the fly by niters just walk away. The building owner may or may not have any action taken.
It takes a strong law and effective enforcement to slow down the fly by niters who hurt our trade. If any of those who can legally enforce code wimp out along the way you have accomplished nothing.
The problem is all this takes money and many local goverments are crying about going broke. Many of the citizens in areas that do not have enforcement agencies do NOT want them.
A few caring individuals will have a very hard time getting politicians to even start the process.
If the NFPA and IAEA or other simular groups do not help out, the job of getting fair and effective code enforcement will not happen.

ed