Gentleman,

I was an electrical contractor in my own business for 15 years. I have been doing electrical wok since 1975. I am now an AHJ and I have to inspect your work, Believe me I am on your side. However if/when I fail some one for doing something wrong ( And I can quote you a NEC code section rule) I don't want to hear the excuse, "Well I have been doing it this way for 20 years!" I believe that I have an advantage over some AHJ's because I know a lot of the triacks of the trade. I know how to by pass safety features of an install to make breakers fit in a service panel, ( My old boss taught me those old tricks) and I know how to get past an inspection when things aren't always right. I tried to get away with all those excuses when I was a contractor. Howevr some of our "Senior" contractors always complain to me if I fail them for something, and they get back to me saying that, "They have been doing it this way for 20 years." I politely tell them that the code changes every all the time and that we have to keep up with the new codes. They don't always want to hear that one.