I hear you Bill, I know I commented a little on some miscellaneous items that were brought up by others, so let me just answer your question.
I'm interpreting, based on the style manual info supplied by others in this thread, that exceptions apply to the preceeding main rule..as reformulated per each listed item. My contention is that the code is screwed up in 210.8 because they left a sentence in the wrong place, even 'tho they repeated it later, in the proper place. Given that they messed that part up, it would be no surprise that other items might be misplaced.
The enumerated items listed under the main rule each reformulate the rule..more economical than creating a whole bunch of rules using almost the exact same language along with each listed item. That is why the exceptions follow various listed items. If the exceptions don't make sense, then perhaps there is a scenario that you just haven't run into yet..like inaccessible receptacles in bathrooms, or appliances in bathrooms..OR, maybe they just screwed up! This is what they apparently did in 210.8(B). They should have put the exception right after item (2). I've never heard of electric snow melting equipment outlets in a kitchen before, but I'm willing to learn if such a scenario ever exists..maybe in Afganistan!? [Linked Image]