Don,

In looking at 210-8(a) in the 1990 NEC I see what you mean. At that time this section was in a different format also. 210-(a)(1) and (2) are each what I would consider as rules as per the style manual. The format of this same section the 1999 NEC is that of a rule followed by a list.

I'd like to repeat that my questioning goes beyond the examples presented here, but if you look at (1990 NEC) 210-8(a)(4) there is an Exemption from GFCI protection for certain receptacles in Crawlspaces - it appears immediately after the rule stating that GFCI protection is required in crawlspaces. So clearly there are exceptions for crawlspaces. Now go to the same section in the 1999 NEC the exception is under (5) but I believe that it is still meant to apply to (4) (crawlspaces)

I don't really mean to debate specifics, as I think there is a much larger issue here if we can't be sure which exemptions apply to which rules. I think that there will always be a problem with interpretations of wording, but this is something which shouldn't be in dispute.

Bill

Bill