Common tools and appropriate use (not a big deal here)
This is where a Bendfield guide is helpfull... But of course it does not list some of the tools used today, like a bandsaw for speedy clean cuts, lazer levels for replacing that old plumb bob, box off-set press, etc.)
Proper bending methods (this is a big one for some of the guys)
Another Benfield item for simple formulas, which are also printed on most benders, but can use some additions. Like: how to add a site notch to your bender, and chalk lines on the conduit to eliminate dog-legs.
Planing and Layout (very lacking in most runs here)
Line diagrams, but instead of just swinging the line, draw it in its actual path it will follow right on your scratch set.(or a peice of paper...)
Aesthetics (ehhh, important but not overpowering)
Simple... Level, square, straight, and plumb. Attention to those simple details makes a world of difference!
Team Bending (A good explanation of how it's done will do wonders)
Basic communication skills... "I want a box off-set, and a 90 at 32, and a 4" off-set to 20" from back of that 90." Point to it while you're saying it to the guy on the ground. You could also draw that profile (NTS) on a scrap paper. This saves the up and down travel of the lift, or some guy on the ladder, meanwhile he can be strapping the last run, or getting the next measurements.

Take this picture for instance: http://www.markhellerelectric.com/DSCN0013.JPG
I told one guy to start popping holes with 2" spacing on the gutter, and can. While he's popping holes, have a single set of measurements from the bottom hole on the can to the most right hole on the gutter. All of the 45's are the same, so 12" to one 45, 25" to the next, so I mark all 22 sticks, and bend all 22 with a magnetic protactor, I already measured the distance to the first 90. (lets say 30" from the back of the 1st 45.) I hand the conduit to my man Saul, he does a 90 at 30. We check for the first cut, then we add 2" to each succesive 90, and 2" to each cut for the whole first row. I'm done with the 45's so I start cutting and reaming. The guy popping holes isn't done yet, so we put connectors on them all, start on the second row. All of the connectors and couplings are on, the holes aren't done, we carry all the conduit in, already bent, and numbered and give them to the guy who isn't finish popping holes yet. He gets done, and starts putting the conduits in place. Total time 2.75 hours! Total man-hours 6.75! Well oiled machine = priceless! Thats just an example of how 2 experianced guys can divide the labor of bending, and hand it to an total novice to hang. The novice eventually gets a general idea of the system, and gets moved to cutting and reaming. Then doing some bends, then he's running the show...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason