One of the most important sections of the code, in my opinion, is 250.96:
(A) General. Metal raceways, cable trays, cable armor, cable sheath, enclosures, frames, fittings, and other metal non–current-carrying parts that are to serve as grounding conductors, with or without the use of supplementary equipment grounding conductors, shall be effectively bonded where necessary to ensure electrical continuity and the capacity to conduct safely any fault current likely to be imposed on them. Any nonconductive paint, enamel, or similar coating shall be removed at threads, contact points, and contact surfaces or be connected by means of fittings designed so as to make such removal unnecessary.

This section tells me that the EMT must be installed well enough that it is capable as serving as an EGC, whether that is your intention or not. That means that the installer must be very mindful about couplings and connectors being terminated well. For example, many people have a bad habit of tightening compression fittings by using only one set of channel-locks and not two. In my opinion, this would violate the above mentioned section, since it will be nearly impossible to get the proper effect of the fittings.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City