We've all seen my picture of the huge log suspended in the air by the wire it grew around.

PoCo rules say to keep vegetation away from the wires. PoCo regs (at that place) place the burden on the property owner. Obvously, the issue was neglected for far too long. That tree wasn't removed until I was called to extend the service.

No sooner did the city come to inspect the new service than a furball ensued over that tree. Why, this desert city was a 'certified tree city' or some such, and you can't just remove trees! You need to do an environmental statement, go through hearings, etc.

Bull pucky, said I. PoCo rules trump 'green city' criteria. That tree was never legal, PoCo is the AHJ, and they say remove it. The city backed off, whispering that they hoped no one complained ...

On another tack ...

I'm as guilty as the next man. In planning my complete house remodel, I imagined all sorts of things for the back yard - not even once taking into consideration the power drop from the pole. Guess I won't plant that 40-ft eucalyptus tree after all laugh

EVERYONE is steering me to 'fast growing' stuff ... nobody seems to realize that everything will eventually have to be removed, and 'fast growing' quickly becomes a maintenance issue.

Related is the issue of access. Where I lived in Reno, power lines and poles were not accessible to the PoCo. Over the years, various sheds, patios, fences, etc. had sprung up, making it impossible to get anywhere near them.

Folks just don't think of such things. Bring it up, and they're full of clever talk about how the PoCo would have to pay for this, and how it's their property, etc. Yet, these same folks will scream when they lose power. Somehow it's the PoCo's fault that their trees are keeping the repairs from being made.