John, I was referring to the various clowns who appear at every public hearing to protest every request for a rate increase, who object to every power line, who find fault with every method of making electricity.

Prime among these is Ralph Nader's "Public Citizen" group, which has even succeeded in some states - Illinois is one - in adding a second "citizens" group to regulate PoCo's, in addition to the Public Utilities boards.

I also include Senate leader Harry Reid, and his allies - to include the current president as well as Mr. Clinton - who brag of their success in shutting down power plants and denying access to the fuels needed to run them.

I refer to every major media outlet, which is only too happy to allege imperfections at the PoCo, trotting out some sympathy case to sway you.

The result? PoCo rates these days do not allow for anything but 'breakdown' repairs. Forget ordinary maintenance. Various strictures have led to fewer apprentices - meaning fewer linesmen, as the current work force ages.

Well, all that 'concern for the environment' or worry about 'wastefull spending' won't replace a broken transformer.

I'm not letting these 'reformers' off the hook for the miseries they cause.