I am sure they will get better. As I pointed out, the 2002 version only claimed to detect a parallel fault (basically a short) inside the wall

actually the white book stated 'carbon' and 'non-carbon' arcing(s) at the time Greg.

this was taken by many to mean parrallel and series mitigation, with much ado .....

but I suppose it isn't their money they are making people spend to beta test for CH and SqD.

well there's the rub. they go for about $38 ea. now, depending on brand / supplier.

that's over $1000 on most homes w/200A 40 cir panels

at that point, the consumer is making an investment that we, the contractor, are obligated to validate.

unfortunatly, they make only one propietory tester that i know of, don't have a lockout mechanism like gfi's, and state on the paperwork to disconnect when meggering

so the reality is, if you live where there's surges, spikes, your investment may stop somewhat short of efficay, and mostly look pretty.

as i've installed many version 1.0's that have ten years tenure at this point, there spectre of an arc related incident isn't out of the realm of reality either

i often think (as contractors do) who would be liable with a code compliant install , and afci's that didn't do the job.

~S~