The AFCI situation is upon us here in NJ with adoption of the '08 NEC as of 10/26/2009. Up to today, the only AFCI installs I have seen are within one 55+ resi, 3 bldg project that started in late '05. Not 'code' required, but Architect mandated in the BR's. There have been no issues that I am aware of.

That said, I also teach at a County Vo-tech, and have obtained AFCI info from mfgs (Sq, Siemens, etc) in Powerpoint, video, PDF & print. I have a few items from NEMA also. I also peruse ECN, and note some of the discussions & problems.

Reno, I'm not an IAEI guy, I belong to NJEIA, and there has been a LOT of heated debates on AFCI since the days of the '05 NEC changes, even though NJ did NOT adopt AFCI's until now. Is the IAEI article you reference available to non-members? On line??

As to being a 'god send' (my words) to fire prevention; IMHO, it may help but there are other causes, ie: the space heater & overfusing & cooking wiring over long periods.

My opinion on 'electrical cause' from fire investigators should have a 'breakout' something like, extension cords, appliance failure, house wiring, etc.

BTW, whatever happened to that elusive "AFCI device"???

John