Watt Doctor;
I am an electrical contractor. I don't consider myself the best in my field, yet I do hold my own. I do commercial, residential, industrial, and PLC programming. My guys that work for me, look up to me. Not that I am the smartest electrician that they have ever met, but because I treat each problem that we encounter as a new learning experience. I try to teach each of my guys everything that I have learned in the 24 years that I have been doing electrical work. Customer relations have been the hardest for them to learn. Every time a customer has an electrical problem, they are scared. I let the customer know that they have nothing to fear, anything can be fixed. Most people (not including electricians) are afraid of electricity.
But the best advice that I have ever had since I opened my business was from my mother. I quote " treat each customer as you would your own mother. Give them the same respect and service you would give me and you will go far in your profession." Because of this, I retain about 90% repeat business. A good electrician not only knows his trade, but also his customers!