It sounds to me like the "ultimate electrician" status is something that is not obtainable. Because as jlhmaint says...

is one who is allways willing to learn new things

The "spirit" of many of the other posts have been along the same "theme". It seems to be the guy "who is always willing to learn". I guess I'm looking for someone who has already obtained a "body of knowledge", and in my mind "that person" is the "control expert". Perhaps it's that "grass is always greener" type deal for me. Though I know many things about controls, and am willing to learn more about them, circumstances in my career, decisions that I've made, etc. have prevented me from increasing my scope of knowledge in this area.
So, let me word it another way. Is there someone you know, that if you could, you would model your career after? Is it our own Joe Tedesco? Would it be Mike Holt? One would be hard pressed to deny that both these men have obtained a "high level" in our industry.
For me the ultimate electrician is a guy named Gary S. If this thread continues to grow, I will post more about why, in my mind, Gary S. is the "ultimate electrician".

Regards,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX