Originally posted by CRW:
Redsy--the non-union program I went through was through ABC of Northern Illinois. We never got any kind of certificate of completion, and a few years later when I was going to move to PA, I asked for any documentation they might have had besides what I was given. They said their program was still going through some changes and re-organization and that they didn't have that yet. The company I started working for in PA, also non-union at the time, was involved in a similar ABC program. Most of those guys had a pretty negative opinion of it, and I don't think their pay scale advanced in relation to their progress through the program.

I'm not slamming all non-union apprenticeships or training programs. I'm happy about the opportunity I was given to join the IBEW. I'm an idealist though, I'm happy to see anyone get good training, for their sake and the good of the industry, and hopefully get fair compensation in wages at the same time. A lot of guys I've worked with have not had that experience with non-union employers; without the union to twist their arms the contractors won't pay a dime more than the have to. Now on the other hand, a good friend of mine also in PA works for a company that he really loves, the owners are fair, he has plenty of work, lots of OT, he's had an overall positive experience there. So I know it's possible, like I said, I'm an idealist, I wish we could all get along, enjoy our trade, get paid well, etc., etc....

Oh yeah, to all you dads out there, Happy Fathers Day!

CRW,
I know that ABC has 2 types of program. Craft traing, which is similar to attending a private trade school. And registered apprenticeship programs, which operate in co-operation with the state and the employers. A state-approved apprenticeship program should have gotten you a journeymans card. Maybe you were enrolled in craft traing. Anyway,what were some of the differences between the non-union & union training programs. I know the program I'm familiar with is mostly theory(576hours)with documented OJT(8,00 hours req'd). Year1- Residential wiring, NEC & DC theory, year2-Commercial wiring, NEC & AC theory, year3-Industrial wiring, Motors and controls, NEC & more AC theory, year4- Solid State, Drives, PLCs, NEC.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 06-17-2001).]