Here in Houston every contractor must have a Master Electrician in full time employment. Every permit that is "pulled" in the city, is "pulled" by a Master Electrician. In order for an apprentice to be able to take the Journeyman's test in Houston he must complete 8000 hrs of on the job training, and have a letter signed by a Master Electrician. A Master Electrician oversee's all the projects for the contractor, and he or she can do limited design work. The afore mentioned items are just a few things that a Master Electrician does in Houston.

What a Master Electrician is, is defined by the AHJ. I can tell you that a Houston Master carries a lot of respect in Texas, and I think the fact that there are less than 700 of us is a testimony as to how hard it is become a Master Electrician in this jurisdiction. I contrast that against Dallas which has something like 5000 Masters.

I'm proud of the fact that I am a Master, and at the same time I'm humbled at the fact that I'm counted among such a small group of people.

Respectfully,
Slam HMEL #688