Hey Doc,

What say you plan a hunt or a camping trip or something? If you 'go west, young man' you can come see our rainbow trout, brook trout or browns, too.

I agree that you probably need to check in with your M.D. Don't miss the chance to catch this early, it definitely sounds like clinical depression and the treatments have improved substantially, as mentioned.

I haven't faced job burnout in the same respect although I've just hit my 10-year anniversary by launching a new career within the same employer. I did so after a few years of frustration followed closely by a total collapse in my motivation. I would've gone to pushing a broom in a heartbeat.

I did a couple of things:
1) sought help from a respected friend and a leader in my field of interest (which you've done here). I asked for advice on what I might do to ward of the 'I don't care' attitude. I added that I had been frustrated by the tasks and the lack of progress or recognition and that it seemed so dull to do the same thing in the same environment where nothing seems to change nor make a difference. He suggested I go back to school which I did.
2) I got into a formal mentoring program and one of the most valuable things that came from it was a goal to prove the value of the mentoring to my current group and then build further value on top of that with the thought that it would primarily add value to ME and I could then have more options available if I decided to change careers.
3) I made a commitment to my physical health knowing that my mental health also depends on my physical health. This, for me, does not necessarily include a consistent exercise program. This is more basic. It means adequate sleep since the majority of the American population is sleep deprived. Sleep, by the way, is a major factor in mental health and sleep apnea can create a very real mental health concern, as mentioned above. It also means staying hydrated because in similar fashion, most Americans are dehydrated. Eating right, or at least better, and getting my basic vitamins and minerals with a standard or stress formula one-a-day type supplement (and certainly NOT a whole bunch of supplements taken together just because they promise great effects).

I've walked through a couple of lonesome valleys (death of a child, divorce, etc) and job 'loss'.. even if it's just the loss of motivation in your job... are heavy hitters on the stress scale. They can very easily lead to depression but you've already gained some ground ahead of it by being willing to address the problem head-on.

Hang in there and stay in touch with this gang, it certainly can make a difference in your willingness and ability to keep putting one foot in front of the other so you can get around that bend.