Trumpy, you mentioned that your sisters' oven and cook-top were supplied with incorrect information on the Installation Sheets regarding max load current. Did these sheets overstate or understate the current ?

I am curious about this as I have recently seen wall ovens which are not marked with max load current or a kilowatt rating on the appliance itself. This information is only available on the installation sheets.

The appliance standard ( AS3100 ) states that all appliances shall be indelibly marked in a position adjacent to the cord entry or supply terminals, with the power consumption details ( current or kW ).

It would appear that the importers are ignoring the standards.

I wouldn't be the first to suggest that electrical importers be licensed so that they may be held accountable for the safety of the products they peddle.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that:

Right now Joe Sparky is saddled with the liability of non-compliant products that he installs. The importer who he bought the product from is not.

Also that: enquiries by the Ministry of Commerce into non-compliant products are only initiated in accident cases where the product has caused injury or serious monetary loss to its owner.

This can't be right can it ?

As for your oven and cook-top Trumpy, you can feed a 16A outlet ( for the oven ) and a 32A outlet ( for the cooktop ) with your 32A circuit. You are only required to protect the cable to the outlet. Not the outlet itself.

Is this right ?