There do seem to be those who look upon the RCD as the universal answer to electrical safety. The way that these things are sometimes (often) marketed in the U.K. is something which concerns me.

Too many times the advertising or sales pitch implies "Fit an RCD and there's no way you can get a bad electric shock." It doesn't actually say that in so many many words, but that's the impression that many people are left with.

I've had to explain numerous times that athough the RCD certainly offers a high degree of protection and is to be recommended, it cannot guard against all possible electrocution hazards. It doesn't even offer the level of protection of the 4-6mA trip American GFI, being a 30mA type. And if someone gets across phase and neutral, and there isn't simultaneously at least 30mA getting to ground through him, it's not going to help one bit, is it?

It is interesting to note the difference in Safety levels(No. of Injuries/Deaths),up to the metering/main switch and on the other side of the PoCo equipment, is this because no DIYer would dare touch a supply they could not turn off?
Maybe, but as far as domestic is concerned here I think that most everyone realizes that everything up to and including the meter is PoCo owned, sealed, and off-limits. No need to touch it for your extra lighting or outlets (unless someone was trying to get "free juice", of course [Linked Image]).

By the way, even a lot of otherwise fairly knowledgeable DIYers have no idea about outside lines and distribution. I've had quite a few ask about the power coming in on "those 240V supplies with three wires across the top of the pole." Turns out they were looking at 11kV distribution lines!

IMHO all of this legislation could be avoided by bringing back across-the-board Inspections of all new installation work, regardless of who did it.

Despite the lack of any legal requirements for domestic wiring in England, there was a time when at least the PoCo guy who came to install the meter and connect power would carry out basic tests: Earth continuity, insulation, etc. Somewhere along the way, that got swept aside and the attitude of most now seems to be "What happens when it leaves the meter is nothing to do with us."