OK, I'll climb up onto my side of the soapbox now... [Linked Image]

First of all, who exactly is going to be responsible for examining installations and approving them? If it's somebody with the relevant electrical background, then fine, but this proposed new law is going into the general building regulations. Those are usually enforced by a building officer from the local council (which, for our U.S. members, is pretty much the British equivalent of "City Hall"). Are we going to see the existing building control officer sent on some 3-day seminar which supposedly then makes him an "expert" in electrical wiring?

How about some of the items quoted in the article? Let's see:
The basic requirement is that electrical installations should meet the fundamental principals {sic} of Chapter 13 of BS7671 :2001 (or other EEC countries wiring rules).
So it will be acceptable to follow either British rules, or those of any other EU country. Does this mean that the inspector will need detailed knowledge of 15 different sets of regulations? That's what it seems to imply.

From tabvle 1, listing work which need not be notified:
Adding socket-outlets to an existing ring or radial circuit
So the guy who has no idea what he is doing can still tear into the wiring, leaving the ring broken, or string 4 extra outlets on a spur from a ring, with no permit/inspection.

Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit
And John Doe with his hammer and one screwdriver is going to know if it is suitable???
and other safety provisions are satisfactory.
Meaning what, exactly? And who decides? [Linked Image]

Replacement of accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses, but excluding circuit protective devices.
Er, does this imply that technically one needs to notify the council when replacing a blown fuse??? [Linked Image] I know, I'm being pedantic and they probably meant changing an MCB or installing a fuse carrier of a different rating, but that's not what it says!

Installation and/or upgrading and testing of main equipotential bonding.
Why should something this important be deliberately excluded from the new requirements?!

Leaving aside these complaints about the way the law may be drafted, how is it going to be enforced?

For a new building or a major renovation/extension where "planning permission" (building permit) has been granted and the council will inspect the work, then maybe it can be enforced.

But when someone decides to do some internal works in his own home, how is the council even going to know that he's changing the wiring?

There are already rules that require notification for certain internal building works, connecting new bathroom appliances, etc. The general rule of thumb around this area is that you don't tell the council anything, if it can be avoided. That means that if it's inside the house, where nobody can see what's going on, don't tell them! One contributory factor here is that the local council is so hopelessly slow and inefficient that a simple 2-week project could end up dragging on for months. (They sometimes take 8 weeks to just send out a requested form!)

So, as John has asked, how would they go about stopping people? I can just see some bureaucrat dreaming up a scheme whereby stores selling electrical fittings require sight of a council wiring permit before they'll sell to Joe Public. More paperwork and expense for everybody! And how would any such scheme deal with the exceptions listed in table 1?

"Sir, are these sockets you're buying for a new circuit or to add to an existing circuit? If they're for a new circuit, I need to see a permit."

I don't think THAT would work!

Besides, if you prevent people from buying the proper materials for the job, they'll probably just try to "get by" with salvaged, sometimes damaged fittings, flexible cords instead of cable, and so on.

I've seen some attrocious wiring, and the aim of improving the safety of electrical installations is laudible, but I can't see how these regulations are going to have much impact, except on new homes and major renovation projects. For the most part, the rules will just be ignored, as they already are in many other fields.

I agree with C-H here. We need education rather than regulation. With the rising popularity of DIY in recent years, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see some of the public safety films on TV again, like we had in the 1970s.

OK, rant over....... For now! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 03-27-2003).]