They can be fitted to the same sized boxes as the light switches but usually in landscape mode rather than portrait as with the unit pictured below.

[Linked Image from elkonv.com]

More usual are the larger 4x4 square units that contain either a single or pair of sockets. A single unit is pictured below. Incidentally, this unit is missing its shutter mechanism which broke and the holes are wide open – that’s why its in the glory box and not in an RSA wall.

[Linked Image from elkonv.com]

When mounted as a pair in a 4x4 plate, they are mounted sideways with the switch still next to the live pin but with the two earth pins facing each other. That’s probably as clear as mud but I do not have an example to hand. The live pin would therefore be the highest on one of the pair and this parallels the debate currently active on the USA forum re receptacle orientations

Searching for an example, I came across a new arrangement on the Crabtree website http://www.crabtree.co.za which is a 2x4 in portrait mode which I’ve never seen before. The switch is at the top above the earth pin rather than next to the live pin, which looks quite odd to my eyes.

[Linked Image from crabtree.co.za]

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 07-31-2002).]