This is somewhat of an experiment as I've never attempted before to post pictures to a list - but here goes.

[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

I don't know about elsewhere in the world but there are some nice features regarding South African light switches when it comes to wiring them ganged up in multiple that I have not come across on UK or USA versions.

Firstly like UK switches the connections are compression types with a grub or short screw (M3.5) holding down solid or stranded wire in a hole large enough to take two or three wires if necessary for joining purposes - no wire nuts required.

A single switch is pictured but they can be ganged up to four side by side in the appropriate fitting and still fit in a 2” x 4” box. Yes, the metric RSA switches and plugs are the same size and have mounting holes that line up exactly with American boxes! So there is a world standard!

Single switches are mounted vertically as in this example. Pairs of switches can be mounted vertically or horizontally, usually vertically – the switch’s short axis is exactly half their long axis. Groups of threes and fours are stacked vertically with their long axes lying flat.

Secondly, the terminal used as the feed is in the center of the unit which is an important element of their design. When ganged, the feed holes of the various switches line-up and one wire, suitably striped, can be inserted through all of the switches and clamped by each switch without any further junctions being required. The load terminal(s) is/are on the outer edges of the switch – a 1 way switch is pictured.

This feature makes for very easy wiring of light switches which I miss on USA fittings.

BTW, most residential work in South Africa uses wire in plastic conduit. Romex equivalent has a thin aluminium sheathing under the outer white plastic coating and can be used exposed, i.e. pinned directly on the inside of a garage/workshop wall. UV grade cable is available for exposed outdoor use – it was not to be buried without additional protection in conduit etc. I’ll post some pictures of this cable at a later date if this posting works.

Edited thrice due to severe dyslexia!

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 07-25-2002).]