Further to my posting above I mentioned the type of cable that could be surface mounted in say garage or workshop. It’s nice to work with as it is quite capable of tight bending yet the inner aluminium sheath gives it a degree of rigidity that allows it to retain its form after bending. Plastic glands are used to guide (and protect) the cable into steel or plastic fittings for mounting switches or receptacles. It's called "Surfex". Common sizes are 2.5 sq.mm for power circuits up to 20A and 1.5 sq.mm for lighting circuits up to 10A. The larger size is pictured below.

[Linked Image from elkonv.com]

The fake/packer wire is solid PVC (sometimes clear or light tan) and is used to keep the overall cross-section of the cable round. It is not required in 3 + Earth varieties where the insulated wires are coloured red, white and blue, i.e. no “defined” neutral (black) for use as commons in two-way applications etc. There is no paper or other fabric used in its construction. In South Africa I never came across the use of paper in cables and the only fabric I ever saw used was in older heat resistant appliance cords such as fitted to toasters and kettles.

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 07-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 07-28-2002).]