ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Top Posters(30 Days)
twh 10
Admin 4
Recent Posts
Windows 10, who's upgraded?
by ElectricianBud. 05/27/17 11:02 AM
How do you find a good employee?
by ElectricianBud. 05/27/17 10:58 AM
Recall notice: Bosch Solar panels
by ElectricianBud. 05/27/17 10:53 AM
Correct rotation, wrong sequence
by Potseal. 05/27/17 12:15 AM
Dryer, Range grounding from "Main" panel
by sparkync. 05/25/17 05:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Popular Topics(Views)
236,938 Are you busy
171,952 Re: Forum
164,832 Need opinion
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (geoff in UK), 47 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#49427 - 03/07/05 12:03 PM NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
echandler  Offline
Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11
Aberdeen, NJ, USA
An arc blast really hurt a guy out here in NJ. To make matters worse, the room had a bunch of combustables stored in it (mainly cardboard). Here's the article from the Newark Star Ledger:


An electrician severely burned in a fire at Plainfield High School remains in critical condition with "life-threatening" injuries, his family said yesterday.

Ollie Johnson, 68, sustained third-degree burns over 80 percent of his body and is in a drug-induced coma at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, according to his daughter, Lisa Johnson.

Johnson was working in an electrical room when some equipment became energized and caused an explosion just after 9 a.m. Saturday, fire Battalion Chief Richard Polunas said.


Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

#49428 - 03/07/05 04:33 PM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
SJT  Offline
Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 241
PATCHOGUE, N.Y.
I hope he and his Family get through this accident. Prayers help


#49429 - 03/07/05 04:46 PM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
HotLine1  Offline


Member
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,826
Brick, NJ USA
My best to this gentlemen and his family. This is another reason that "electric rooms" and "electrical closets" must not be used for storage. I had one last Thursday, on a service upgrade inspection, that was used as a 'garbage holding room'. The office staff (Dr. Office) had the "la-de-da" response to the verbal warning, & a look of amazement when I handed the receptionist a 'red sticker'. "It's been like that for years"!! Well, hopefully not anymore.

John


John

#49430 - 03/07/05 11:04 PM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
Attic Rat  Offline
Member
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 524
Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
... God help the poor guy,I hope he pulls through.. Prayers for him and his family..
God Bless..
Russ


.."if it ain't fixed,don't break it...call a Licensed Electrician"

#49431 - 03/08/05 08:38 AM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
Trumpy  Offline


Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,211
SI,New Zealand
Man that's a shocker.
Having been through serious burns myself, I can understand just what this guy is going through.
It's a long hard road to recovery and it affects more than just the victim.
My prayers are with this guy and his family.
Unfortunately, at the age of 68, your chances of recovering from burns this wide-spread are pretty remote, considering that lung damage is often the worst of the injuries and the body does not heal the same at that age.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound down-beat here, but that is the reality of the situation.


Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

#49432 - 03/09/05 10:54 AM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
echandler  Offline
Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11
Aberdeen, NJ, USA
He's still with us as of March 9th, thank goodness. Here's a bit more information I got from a different paper:

Johnson, a Plainfield schools employee and pastor of the Progressive Baptist Church in Rahway, was taken to the burn unit at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. He suffered third-degree burns and lung damage as a result of severe smoke inhalation and was placed in a medically induced coma. Johnson remains in critical condition.


#49433 - 03/09/05 11:50 AM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
JCooper  Offline
Member
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 228
Kendall Park, NJ USA
A buddy of mine is an a different union here in NJ and he heard something about an allen wrench across the phases of a 277/480 panel. He is working on getting more info.


#49434 - 03/10/05 01:27 PM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
echandler  Offline
Member
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 11
Aberdeen, NJ, USA
That will do it. Dead short probably melted or vaporized allen wrench if it turns out to be the cause. Add to that some loose cardboard and you have yourself a real problem, especially if the blast had incapacitated him. We all hope he pulls through.


#49435 - 03/10/05 04:11 PM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
resqcapt19  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 2,148
IL
I'm very sorry that this guy got hurt and hope that he makes it. That being said, we are not permitted to work on energized equipment other than for diagnostic work, and even then PPE based on the incident energy must be worn. These types of accidents are going to continue to happen until the field electricians insist on following electrical safe work practices and until they insist that their employers provide the proper PPE.
Don


Don(resqcapt19)

#49436 - 03/10/05 07:08 PM Re: NJ Electrician Burned Bad  
rmiell  Offline
Member
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 242
La Junta, Co. USA
Well said, Don.

Rick Miell


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Member Spotlight
Posts: 362
Joined: April 2003
Show All Member Profiles 
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.017s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8192 MB (Peak: 0.9931 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-05-28 18:35:13 UTC