yesterday i was called out by the city to investigate why a "water meter reader" was shocked as he lifted to cover of a water meter to check for leaks. I checked the voltage from the meter assembly to ground, the reading was 120 volts. afer observing the service entrance, i notice that the netural conductor was broken .this was a frist timer for me. has anyone else had this experience?
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/The_Store/EX/382152.htm This is the meg tester I use. I do mostly cell tower sites and we must show under 5 ohms resistance and it works great. Our AHJ requires 2 ground rods, water bond and building steel if available. Also Ufer bond on new construction in place of the 2 ground rods, but no proof of resistance test
Re: water "meter reader" shocked#17207 11/22/0201:01 AM11/22/0201:01 AM
mj, How was the equipment in the building working with an open neutral? In many cases the metal underground water piping system will connect to a number of buildings providing a path for the neutral current, but in those cases there will be very little voltage to ground. As far as grounding rod or other types of electrodes, while required by code, they would do little prevent the shock incident described above. Don
Re: water "meter reader" shocked#17210 11/22/0201:09 PM11/22/0201:09 PM