ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/18/02 08:52 PM
In my job for the local utility, I get at least one of these per week. Iowa doesn't have state or county inspectors. Only larger municipals have paid inspectors, and they usually double as plumbing & structural inspectors. Aside from the obvious violations, this guy used USE cable from the disconnect to the meter socket, the meter socket is not on our approved list, there is no hub on top of the socket (inside was wet from rain), and the pole doesn't belong to him!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Kevin Duke
Posted By: CTwireman Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/19/02 01:20 AM
Yup, that's pretty bad.

The "cellular" is a dead giveaway that they used plumbing pipe. (lightweight cellular core pvc)

What happened in this situation? Did the utility just tear the whole mess out?
I sure hope this was a homeowner that did this with the help of Home Depot's experts and not an "electrician"
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/19/02 01:42 AM
It seems odd that they seemed to use some sealant in pic #2 on the connector but thought nothing of the two holes next to it.

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/19/02 03:24 AM
So much for the mandate "neat and workmanlike." There used to be an old-salt inspector in the LA, CA area that would often ask, "What does that mean?" He would often mention the stupidity of such a requirement; that should be tossed out as entirely unenforceable. Rest in peace, Joe Roohan.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/19/02 05:51 AM
Ah, yes... 110.12

My favorite code.

And the "all purpose" code...

For the very same reason the "old salt" didn't like it!

It is rather subjective...
Posted By: Trainwire Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/19/02 10:06 AM
For somebody without a clue, it's not too bad!
Posted By: mamills Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/20/02 02:36 AM
You know, maybe I'm all wet here. Even though this installation is a long way from compliance with any codes, It seems to me that the "installer" would at least take some pride in the work that he does.

I guess what I'm saying...code violations (and legal issues...?)not withstanding, this is a really ugly job that anyone should be ashamed of!! [Linked Image]

Finished ranting...thanks guys.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: arseegee Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/20/02 03:26 AM
Forget about the code for a second, does anyone know how the line conductors are going to enter the meter can. It appears to be an overhead pole with an invisible stack. Maybe the installer was hoping for a solar meter.
Posted By: joeh20 Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/21/02 10:31 AM
He forgot a strap, and i put the bare in from the bottom and bend it back over the clamp so when it gets loose you don't lose it in the dirt. buy em a book and send em to school.
Posted By: kduke Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/21/02 02:01 PM
This guy is definately NOT an electrician. He's the homeowner who thinks he is. A week later, he hasn't returned my calls and is not about to get hooked up. Everything will have to be ripped off the pole and done over.
Posted By: mamills Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/21/02 03:58 PM
"...and the pole doesn't belong to him!"

Kevin: just curious... who does the pole belong to? POCO?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: kduke Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/21/02 05:19 PM
The pole belongs to the utility company. It's feeding a security light with a duplex wire (120V).
Posted By: CTwireman Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 06/21/02 07:03 PM
Here's something i just noticed...

Why is it on all these hack job services we see here, they always use an acorn clamp? Kind of ironic that they get that part right, considering how many professionals use a water pipe clamp on the ground rod.

By the way, where is the riser? is that provided by the poco? Don't tell me that the line side comes up through the plumbing pipe and the disco!!
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 09/18/02 04:34 AM
Kevin: Time for an update, any new pictures yet?
Posted By: kduke Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 11/22/02 07:53 PM
I phoned this guy and left him a voice-mail. He never has called back, and the service equipment is still just like the pictures show. No change yet, maybe when he gets desperate, he'll call again.
Posted By: Elec_VA Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 01/29/03 04:34 AM
At least he left in the carboard bird cover on the meter box. I've heard great stories about the local utilities not providing service until the bird are done hatching. I'd love the company to ask me about that one! :0
Posted By: WattsPie Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 01/29/03 11:18 PM
You know if your gonna wing the installation at least make it look good. Geez,you think the guy could have leveled the pipe off !

The obvious code violation the pipe isn't Schedule 80 as per Article 230.50(a)(b)where subject to physical damage.So the whole installation has to be removed and replaced.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: I'm ready, when can you hook me up? - 01/31/03 09:27 AM
you think the guy could have leveled the pipe off !

The pipe is fine. The pole, meter pan, disco, etc. need to be leveled off [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums