ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
In my job for the local utility, I get at least one of these per week. Iowa doesn't have state or county inspectors. Only larger municipals have paid inspectors, and they usually double as plumbing & structural inspectors. Aside from the obvious violations, this guy used USE cable from the disconnect to the meter socket, the meter socket is not on our approved list, there is no hub on top of the socket (inside was wet from rain), and the pole doesn't belong to him!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Kevin Duke

C
Yup, that's pretty bad.

The "cellular" is a dead giveaway that they used plumbing pipe. (lightweight cellular core pvc)

What happened in this situation? Did the utility just tear the whole mess out?

Peter
E
I sure hope this was a homeowner that did this with the help of Home Depot's experts and not an "electrician"

It seems odd that they seemed to use some sealant in pic #2 on the connector but thought nothing of the two holes next to it.

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
B
So much for the mandate "neat and workmanlike." There used to be an old-salt inspector in the LA, CA area that would often ask, "What does that mean?" He would often mention the stupidity of such a requirement; that should be tossed out as entirely unenforceable. Rest in peace, Joe Roohan.

Ah, yes... 110.12

My favorite code.

And the "all purpose" code...

For the very same reason the "old salt" didn't like it!

It is rather subjective...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
T
For somebody without a clue, it's not too bad!

M
You know, maybe I'm all wet here. Even though this installation is a long way from compliance with any codes, It seems to me that the "installer" would at least take some pride in the work that he does.

I guess what I'm saying...code violations (and legal issues...?)not withstanding, this is a really ugly job that anyone should be ashamed of!! [Linked Image]

Finished ranting...thanks guys.

Mike (mamills)

A
Forget about the code for a second, does anyone know how the line conductors are going to enter the meter can. It appears to be an overhead pole with an invisible stack. Maybe the installer was hoping for a solar meter.

J
He forgot a strap, and i put the bare in from the bottom and bend it back over the clamp so when it gets loose you don't lose it in the dirt. buy em a book and send em to school.

Lighting the way
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard