ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Closet Light - 12/29/01 05:00 AM
[Linked Image]

What are your thoughts on these fixtures and the way that this one is installed? (this is a clothes closet)

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Closet Light - 12/29/01 10:42 AM
call the bomb squad...
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Closet Light - 12/29/01 01:03 PM
Bill:

Violates 410-8 because "lampholders" are not allowed in a clothes closet. This is not a "fixture", common error by many calling it one.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 12/29/01 01:33 PM
Joe,

Thanks for the correction, I should have put the word in 'quotes' as I was not sure what to call it. Were these ever legal for use in clothes closets? I'm also wondering about the situation with the cord being stapled and passing through the doorway. I would think that for these 'Lampholders' to be used a receptacle would have to be on the inside of a closet, which I'll bet was not the standard mode of installation.

Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Closet Light - 12/29/01 01:53 PM
Bill: Only "fixture" of special types identified in 410-8 are allowed in "clothes closets", I'll bet if we knew who made the product you show here, that the instructions say not to use it in a clothes closes, although I may be wrong --- but who knows -- and we still can buy non dead front cord caps with discs!
Posted By: electure Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 02:32 PM
They missed a couple of spots when they painted the extension cord.
Any idea where that other plugged in cord goes?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 04:22 PM
electure,

Yes, I do know about the other cord. It goes to a second doorway to the right that leads to the Garage. Yeah, you have to go through a small coat closet to get to the Garage! Kinda neat having secret doors like that. I don't like these lights in there though, or the cord stapled and passing through the doorway.

The house itself is hidden from the street by the landscaping and I couldn't even get in their driveway more than 10 feet because it is made up of several sharp turns designed specifically to disguise itself. I passed it 3 times without seeing it the first time I went there. Someone spent a lot of time and expense laying out the property.

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 06:27 PM
I've often seen similar techniques for closet wiring in this country.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a non-dead front cord cap? I've often seen references to dead-front plugs etc. but never quite been able to figure out what it refers to.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 08:41 PM
Here is what I meant about non-dead front:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 08:53 PM
Paul,

To add a little to Joes'icture there the plastic 'shield' (?) comes off and there are exposed screw terminals below with the stranded wires wrapped around them.

Joe,

Are door-jamb switches considered as being outside the closet?

Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 09:02 PM
[Linked Image from stanleyworks.com]

Looks like they (the wires) are inside?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 10:39 PM
Joe,

"Looks like they (the wires) are inside?"

So what would your call be on allowing this switch 'in' a clothes closet?

You knew I had a reason for asking, right?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Closet Light - 12/30/01 11:31 PM
Bill: I have no problem with this type of device and have also intalled many during my career.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Closet Light - 12/31/01 12:51 PM
Ah, so you remove that shield from the front (prong side) to terminate the wires, right?

"Dead front" is like the U.S. plugs I have here where the wires are attached from the back ??
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Closet Light - 12/31/01 03:32 PM
Here is a dead front device.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Closet Light - 12/31/01 06:47 PM
Bill, I think you'd like this place www.winchestermysteryhouse.com
I went there when I was about 10 yrs old
Posted By: pauluk Re: Closet Light - 12/31/01 07:05 PM
Thanks for the pic Joe. That looks like the ones I have.

I guess that would make almost all of our plugs here the dead-front type, although there were some old 2-pin types made in the the past that were wired from the front.

I had some "DIY" closet light switches in this house when I moved into it. Someone had screwed microswitches (roller-arm type) to the door frames and glued thin stips of balsa wood around them to cover the live terminals!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 12-31-2001).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 12/31/01 07:45 PM
electure,

That place sure sounds interesting! We'd probably have to get the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew in on this one. [Linked Image]

Hey, I thought that Jimmy Stewart invented the Winchester? [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Closet Light - 01/09/02 12:39 AM
I'm not sure that the different colorations are because of paint (alone). Could some of that be heat damage? I also note that the bulb is one of those tougher -and hotter- halogen types. Could the closed door contact the bulb? I think that heat, and not electric per se, is the main fire hazzard here.
Is this a rental? It almost looks like it was done by someone who didn't plan on staying for long.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Closet Light - 01/09/02 02:17 PM
While on the subject. What about a switch-controlled receptacle mounted 80" high on the side wall of a pantry with a plug-in fluorescent mounted above the door?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 01/10/02 11:11 PM
John,

I think that's just paint and a standard type bulb. No, it's not a rental, but just another case of someones "ingenuity". There were a number of other examples around the House that I may have pictures of somewhere.

Bill
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Closet Light - 01/15/02 02:23 AM
Showed this picture around- and I was amazed that EVERYONE opined that this was a set-up for growing "wacky tabacky"- are you telling us everything about this stealthy dwelling?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Closet Light - 01/15/02 03:19 AM
John,

[Linked Image]
Just a closet lite, honest!!

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Closet Light - 01/16/02 02:30 AM
(with complete risk of faux pas...)

A 400W metal halide would be more convincing...
Posted By: alan bergold Re: Closet Light - 02/04/02 03:53 AM
What happened to the enclosed bulb rule.Here
on long island we have to have an enclosed fixture rule.NO exposed bulbs in closets,no switches in closets,no outlets in closets.WE find these in closets all the time who manufactures these fixtures and why are they used in clothes closets????
Posted By: alan bergold Re: Closet Light - 02/04/02 04:01 AM
And why do they feed thru with additional plugs this is not good???
Posted By: shortcircuit1 Re: Closet Light - 04/16/02 03:51 AM
looks like they got their 12" distance though..lol
© ECN Electrical Forums