ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/02/06 12:04 PM
From Michael Cash

These pictures were taken when a homeowner called me and said her boyfriend rewired her pool equipment. She wanted me to come and take a look at it. I didn't know garden hose was an approved conduit to run wires through.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/02/06 03:11 PM
Let's see, we've got water pipe, a garden hose, now all we need is water in this mess to fill it up. (At least I think it's water pipe.)

Ohh, there's wires in them pipes! [Linked Image]

Okay, I know we've seen garden hose as conduit before,but I can't find the thread. Water pipes/fittings and garden hoses, I guess he was a "Two wrongs make a right" kinda guy.

Ian A.
Posted By: iwire Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/02/06 03:50 PM
Ohh, there's wires in them pipes!

[Linked Image from anti-aol.org]
Posted By: RSmike Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/02/06 04:13 PM
I don't recognize that white 90 in the last photo. It looks like there are three holes in it along the vertical axis. What is it? Another custom part?

I have to say that it's a first for me to see garden hose used as conduit...but I'm a young punk....

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: Rewired Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/02/06 09:40 PM
That 90" fitting looks like something we had on our jacuzzi " bubbler" for the pool.. It was an air inlet of sorts... Could also be the spout off a chlorine jug too.
A.D
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/03/06 12:26 AM
The holes in the white fitting are for heat dissipation.
Posted By: allen476 Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/03/06 01:08 AM
Now that is the reason I hate selling to homeowners. They won't spend the extra money on the proper fittings. I do have one question though. When did the weep hole for a panel become a wire entry?

Allen
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/03/06 11:00 AM
Bob you took my line! LOL

Ian A.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/03/06 08:19 PM
At least he provided some mechanical protection, I have seen worse.

He is certainly is not a tradesman.

It looks like that the green earth wire in the last picture doesn't continue in the grey pipe.
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/05/06 06:02 PM
that green wire might just be a really bad pull job. I think that it is just looped there. Regardless, this should just all be re-rewired to make it less awful.

The garden hose idea isn't that bad, however, provided that it is for low voltage and temporary use only. I have a fiber cable run inside a garden hose that I use for really long runs where twisted pair wouldn't work. I use it a lot for outdoor concerts if were streaming audio on the web. It is only for temporary stuff, though.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/06/06 03:59 PM
I give him credit for at least using the proper colored THWN instead of bell wire or extension cord.

Peter
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/07/06 02:29 AM
Is her boyfriends phone number (800)HANDYMAN? This whole schlabang looks terrifyingly (is that a word?) familiar.. [Linked Image]

I give him credit for at least using the proper colored THWN instead of bell wire or extension cord.

Thats if this isn't for a 240V pump motor.. [Linked Image] If it's for the pool light, I'd love to know if there's GFI protection...
Posted By: frank Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/08/06 01:37 PM
iwire,
I had to make the picture of Curly my desk top backround lmao.
Posted By: iwire Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/08/06 02:07 PM
Frank....I made it my background as well. [Linked Image]
Posted By: kiwi Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/21/06 11:17 AM
Hey Iwire, where'd you get that pic ? Is there more where that came from ? Its a beauty.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/22/06 05:44 AM
I made it my MSN pic. People ask me about it and I just tell them its a picture of myself at work [Linked Image]

A.D
Posted By: pauluk Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/22/06 02:52 PM
Garden hose with "T&E" (Romex) pulled through it is all too common here when a homeowner has wired power to a garden shed or garage.
Posted By: GA76JW Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/26/06 01:37 AM
I worked with an old-timer who use to tell me about garden hose in concrete slabs. I guess they would plug both ends and fill it with water and pour around. Then they would let the water out and pull the hose out of the concrete creating a nice round raceway.

I guess it was either red-neck or cheap. [Linked Image]
Posted By: RSmike Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/27/06 04:01 PM
Top this guys....
Not too long ago I was part of a conversation where one of the participants (not me) was bragging about using black plastic lawn irrigation pipe to run natural gas from his house to the garage. I kept my mouth shut as the guy was busy justifying how and why he did it and how much money he saved

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: Beachboy Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/28/06 03:38 AM
I used to work for a combined electric and gas utility company, and it wasn't uncommon in the ghetto areas, to find plain old cheap garden hose used to pipe gas, especially from a customer who was still PAYING for gas service, to all the neighboring deadbeats who were stealing his service.
Posted By: macmikeman Re: Pool Rewire by Homeowner - 10/28/06 04:13 AM
It's funny what guys will do for the girlfriend.....
© ECN Electrical Forums