ECN Forum
Posted By: Active 1 Meter Main Bonding - 01/28/05 04:16 AM
We have a 200 amp meter pedistal with a built in 200 amp circuit breaker. About 35' feet away is the first 200 amp panel. An equipment ground is run from the pedistal to the 200 amp panel with the 3 3ott conductors.

The dispute is if the 200 a panel inside should have the main bond screw in (bonding the neutral to ground).

I believe the meter serves as the main disco and is by design bonding the nutral and equipment ground. The inside panel would not be a service panel because the meter is the service. Right?

Then the water pipe ground should go to the meter and not the panel?

Thanks,

Tom
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/28/05 05:00 AM
If you are running 4 wires you will not reground the neutral at the second panel. That creates a parallel path.
Posted By: Roger Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/28/05 11:05 AM
I agree, you would not tie the two together in these downstream panels.

Now, whether or not a ground rod is necessary at the down stream panels would be found in 250.32. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: Yoopersup Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/28/05 01:07 PM
I'd say ground rod or rods at meter base (install bonding screw), 4 wires from meter base to panel at the house. Float neutral bar at the house, Tie water pipe and what every gounding you have to the ground bar at the house.This is simlar to a Trailer hookup . If disconnect was mounted on the house outside then I;d say grounds to to panel outside, when remote I;d say No.
Posted By: Steve T Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/29/05 02:44 AM
You have it correct.

Now the next question is--can the GEC pass through the panel? (No splice)
Posted By: cpal Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/29/05 11:04 PM
What is the breaker on the pedistal used for ??

Hot sequence or cold??

Just a thought

Charlie
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/30/05 08:31 PM
The disconect meter pedistal is mounted on the side of the house. Thanks for yor replys.

Tom
Posted By: eswets Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/31/05 05:03 AM
Tom,
I had a job like that. 200amp breaker on the meter ped, 200amp mlo panel. 2" ridgid from meter to panel with out bond screw. 3/4" conduit from meter to cold water ground. Thats how inspector wanted it.
BTW were you at leviton's LIN class in Northbrook on thursday? though I saw your company name.
Posted By: caselec Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/31/05 06:21 AM
The water piping of the dwelling should be bonded to the EGC buss of the panel at the dwelling. It should not be run separately to the meter main.

Curt
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/31/05 01:09 PM
Curt,
If there is metal underground water pipe, then the conductor between the water pipe and the electrical system is a grounding electrode conductor and must be connected to the grounded conductor at or on the line side of the service disconenct per 250.24(A)(1).
Don
Posted By: caselec Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/31/05 04:29 PM
Good morning Don,

I don’t have a copy of the NEC in front of me but in my opinion if the underground water pipe is not part of the structure with the service you don’t have to use it. If the separate building has a metal underground pipe it should be used as part of the grounding electrode system of that building and connected to the EGC in the service disconnect for that building.

Curt
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Meter Main Bonding - 01/31/05 04:34 PM
Curt,
I could be wrong, but I don't think we are talking about a second building in the original post. Look at the second post by the original poster.
Don
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Meter Main Bonding - 02/01/05 01:14 AM
Ya, It's only 1 building.

Yes we were in Northbrook at the class the other day. I dinn't expect someone elce from here would show up.

Tom
Posted By: caselec Re: Meter Main Bonding - 02/01/05 01:38 AM
Tom

Is the meter/main attached to the dwelling?

Curt
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Meter Main Bonding - 02/01/05 02:10 AM
Yes, it's attached to the dwelling.
Posted By: caselec Re: Meter Main Bonding - 02/01/05 02:38 AM
When you said pedestal I was picturing the meter/main mounted remote from the dwelling. Somehow even though Don told me to look at your second post I missed it but saw it after making my last reply. I’m having one of those days.

Curt
© ECN Electrical Forums