ECN Forum
Posted By: shortcircuit Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 12:59 AM
I was at the home show in Bawstin today and there were a couple of landscape lighting company's pushing there products, low voltage landscape lighting.

He said that he is not required to have a electricians licence to do this work of installing these systems.

I argued that he did.

Who was right?

shortcircuit
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 01:08 AM
It depends on the local jurisdiction.
Our jurisdiction allows non-licensed installers to install the low voltage lighting (still requires a permit for inspection), if it is hard wired for the line side of the transformer, they have to hire a licensed electrical contractor for that portion of the installation.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 01:30 AM
We had a heated debate with one of those manufacturers on this subject in this forum (I think) many months back. Seems that because it is low voltage manufacturers think that no codes apply and there also is no safety issue.

Although the NEC sections are minimal, 300.5 gives the minimum cover requirement for buried landscape lighting cable and 411.1 gives the equirements for lighting systems 30 volts or less, these are code requirements.

To answer your question, I think it would be up to the AHJ's in each area as to how they want to deal with this issue. I think I vaguely remember some area requiring landscapers to take a short course and pass a test on these areas which would then allow them to install the lighting.

-Hal
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 01:51 PM
Reading through the Mass Gen laws I don't see a clear answer. I might tend to agree with him on the assumption that he looked into it before he started this part of his business. I really don't see the need for a license to do this.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 02:03 PM
Here in NJ I believe that anyone can install low voltage lights if the transformer plugs in. A permit is required if the install is new.
Posted By: iwire Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 02:19 PM
Shortcircuit knowing you are a fellow MA resident I agree with you.

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS
PART I.
ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX.
PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 141. SUPERVISION OF ELECTRICIANS

Chapter 141: Section 1A Licensure requirement; exceptions

Section 1A. No person, firm or corporation shall enter into, engage in, or work at the business or occupation of installing wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances for carrying or using electricity for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes, unless such person, firm or corporation shall be licensed by the state examiners of electricians in accordance with this chapter and, with respect to security systems, unless such person, firm or corporation shall also be licensed by the commissioner of public safety in accordance with the provisions of sections fifty-seven to sixty-one, inclusive, of chapter one hundred and forty-seven.

This chapter shall not apply to: a person not engaged in the business described in this section who employs or contracts for the services of a person, firm or corporation engaged in such business; or to an apprentice employed by a person, firm or corporation licensed in accordance with this chapter; or to an agent, employee or assistant of a person, firm or corporation licensed in accordance with this chapter who does not engage in or perform the actual work described in this section.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/141-1a.htm

Thats what I believe the law says, what really happens is another story.

Bob
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 08:21 PM
After Bob's post and reading alittle more it looks like a license in needed. Does not seem necessary to me.
Posted By: capt al Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 08:34 PM
Shortcircuit & iwire here in Ma it is legal for a homeowner to pull a permit to install these lights. So the landscaper has the HO pull a permit and he rides off into the sunset with a big wad of cash in his pocket. Just another thing about this state I do not care for.

Al
Posted By: iwire Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 08:37 PM
Hi Al I agree that can be one way, I think most times they just do not pull a permit in the first place.

Of course that never happens... [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/21/05 11:08 PM
I can see the occasional landscaper installing some lights and getting away with it,(like going 60 in a 55mph zone)but these guys are engaged in the business of installing these lighting systems for "HIRE" and they are not licensed to do so [Linked Image]

You see the key word here in Massachusetts is for "HIRE"(section 3L)...this is what allows homeowners to do there own work.

shortcircuit
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/22/05 12:18 AM
Ok so we agree they must be licensed. Now what? Are you going to call the Board and have them "Taken care of"? I might actually call and ask their opinion on this. In reality what is it that bothers you about this? The fact that they are unlicensed? The fact that you would preffer that you got to do this work? There might be a safety issue with them doing it? The only thing that would bother is if they must be licensed then they should not be doing this work untill they are licensed. That is only fair to everyone that follows the rules. As far as the work goes I say let them do it, I'd rather not. Safety? Not an issue that I can see.
Posted By: HLCbuild Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/22/05 12:20 AM
Here in the backward state of VA, the code says that a permit is not required for wiring and equipment which operates at less than 50 volts (except when located in a plenum), but the installation still has to comply with the code.
Posted By: bentruler Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/22/05 01:15 AM
In WA State:
http://www.lni.wa.gov/TradesLicensing/Electrical/files/currents/elc05_02.pdf

Underground Low-Voltage Landscape Lighting Requirements
We have been asked to clarify the intent of the rules relating to licensing, certification, allowable exemptions, and permits and inspections for the installation of underground low-voltage landscape lighting. WAC 296-46B-925(7) establishes a threshold for exemption for a specific type of this work and is prefaced with the qualifier “The electrical failure of these systems does not inherently or functionally compromise safety to life or property.” This quality is mandatory for consideration for this exemption.
This rule’s format was made general enough to include thermocouple derived circuits and low-voltage systems for residential vacuum systems, underground landscape sprinkler control, and residential garage door controls, along with underground low-voltage landscape lighting. (The Class 2 power source for these other systems is always integrated into the listed controller equipment.) It was the intent of the rule to allow “exempt” installation of Class 2, pre-assembled, low-voltage lighting assemblies listed for use underground. These packaged Class 2 low-voltage lighting systems with fixed numbers of luminaires can be safely installed by persons with no electrical installation knowledge or skills. Most of these systems are completely pre-wired and only need to be “planted” then plugged in. Some may allow change of location of the luminaire(s) on the conductors pre-wired to the Class 2 transformer. The Class 2, 100 VA limitations of these packaged assemblies satisfies the above safety parameter of the rule.
When an installation involves field assembly of individual lighting fixtures on properly sized conductors and selection of an appropriate Class 1 transformer or power source to supply the calculated loads, then the inherent safety of the listed Class 2 system is nonexistent. The installation must be done by licensed electrical contractors and certified electricians. Work in this scope is only included for 01-general journeyman, 02-residential specialty, or 06-limited energy specialty contractors and electricians. The 06-limited energy specialty is further restricted to Class 1 power-limited circuits 1000 VA, 30 volts or less.
The rules have an exemption from licensing for firms that install certain cord and plug connected equipment in WAC 296-46B-925(9) with the qualifier that “The equipment must be a single manufactured unit that does not require any electrical field assembly except for the installation of the plug and cord.” Field installation of low-voltage lighting systems does not qualify for this exemption, even if the power source happens to be cord and plug connected. There is no exemption from permits and inspection for this work in WAC 296-46B-925(9). Field assembled underground low-voltage lighting systems require electrical work permits and inspections. Licensing, permits and inspections are not required for the specific work exempt under WAC 296-46B-925(7).
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/22/05 01:42 AM
I used to hat it when the gardner put in those lights....I'd end up fixing his mess. That, I slowly realised, was a good thing...before long, the customer would begin to appreciate the value of a "real" electrician, and would stop expecting the painter, maintenance man, etc., to also do electric work.

After all, those transformers get expensive if you keep burning them up.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Low Voltage Landscape Lighting - 02/23/05 02:40 AM
Here in NJ we are starting to license home improvment contractors. There is an exception to the rules though. ( Ain't there always!) The exception will not require a large box store "home improvment" company with ASSETS over $50,000,000 (and their employees) to need a license. Ge I guess the old saying MONEY TALKS! really does apply here.
© ECN Electrical Forums