ECN Forum
Posted By: Nick Code Cycle - 09/25/01 11:53 PM
Many municipalities around here are at least a code cycle behind in adopting the current NEC. My question is as follows.

When the more recent code becomes more stringent the city cannot enforce that code until they have adopted that edition, right? What about the flip side to that. If the current code relaxes a requirement and a contractor installs per this new not a stringent rule, does the city have to accept it even if they have not adopted that cycle? Or is it up to their discretion wether to accept it or not? Just curious what everyone's take is on this.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Code Cycle - 09/26/01 12:14 AM
Nick,

I think it is always up to their discretion.
Did you have something specific in mind?
Posted By: sparky Re: Code Cycle - 09/26/01 12:23 AM
My state will formally adopt the 2002 sometime around June, July. I guess the state inspectors need time to bone up on it.

Until such time, the 99' flys, warts & all.
A good case in point for 'relaxed' standards would be the ol' gas pipe bond
(heee-hawww mule bayin' )
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Nick Re: Code Cycle - 09/26/01 02:07 AM
Nothing specific in mind. Just a general question. The last two juristictions I have worked in are still under the '96 code and here we are just getting 2002. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Code Cycle - 09/26/01 02:19 AM
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I always thought that the Code acception was automatic and immediate around here (NY). Does anybody know?

You know, it's funny but all this global interaction here can really make someone have to rethink what they already "know" and stop taking everything for granted. Has anyone else noticed that?

Bill
Posted By: nesparky Re: Code Cycle - 09/26/01 02:59 AM
Here the new code will be adopted somewhere around Jun - Aug. Untill then 1999 applies. After that most inspectors use the date you pulled the permit to rule on short term jobs. It can lead to a lot of discussion on longer term jobs. Usually what ever the inspector says will rule--not always depends on how far along the job is.
Posted By: electure Re: Code Cycle - 09/26/01 11:19 AM
Learned this one early on:
I saw an old electrician scratching his head & kicking the ground in about '75. Seems he had put all his 4 wire homeruns in 1/2" EMT on the store he was building. Los Angeles County was still going by '68 Code's wirefill, which only allowed 3 #12 in a 1/2" conduit. (7 years later)
Yes, they made him tear it all out. Seems like inspectors reject change of any kind until they're forced to accept it.
Posted By: WARREN1 Re: Code Cycle - 09/27/01 08:23 PM
In my experience, I have seen some states that have an automatic acceptance of the NEC. I think South Carolina does. There are some municipalities that adopt the code, and have local ordinances that override some portions of the NEC. This usually occurs in areas pertaining to mobile homes, RV parks, etc., and are more stringent. I don't recall ever having the NEC relaxed.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Code Cycle - 09/27/01 08:34 PM
Automatic acceptance of the new code is not legal. It is a law when adopted by a governmental unit and must be approved by the legislative unit of government in the same manner as any other law. The courts have ruled that laws must specifically state the edition of the code that is to be used. If the law would state "current edition", the edition that was available at the time that the law was passed would be the legal code forever, unless changed by the passage of a new law.
Don(resqcapt19)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Code Cycle - 09/27/01 11:36 PM
Hmm, interesting reading.

Are there any other examples of the current NEC (or local/state codes) being LESS stringent than in the past?
Posted By: Nick Re: Code Cycle - 09/28/01 02:23 AM
One off the top of my head; 250-81 (1990 version) only allowed exothermic welding as a means to extend the GEC and only in industrial or commercial locations. I believe it was '93 that allowed irreversible compression-type-connectors and dropped the industrial and commercial location only requirement.(correct me if I am wrong. My '93 and '96 code books have grown legs.)
The 2002 code has relaxed the three story limit on NM cable.
If I think of more I'll post them later.
Nick
Posted By: ken m Re: Code Cycle - 09/28/01 10:21 AM
in the county of south carolina where i live they just accepted the '99' code this past july. they only began enforcing the (electrical & building) code since 1999. i'm surprised more houses haven't fallen or burned. at this rate the "02" code won't be adopted till.....maybe 2006 or so. to give you an example, i recently wired a 5000 sq. ft. concrete and steel house and when the inspector came to do the rough in (elect,hvac,plumbing & structure) he was there a total of 45 min. it's almost like prior 1999. ken m.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Code Cycle - 09/28/01 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Nick:
One off the top of my head; 250-81 (1990 version) only allowed exothermic welding as a means to extend the GEC and only in industrial or commercial locations. I believe it was '93 that allowed irreversible compression-type-connectors and dropped the industrial and commercial location

Let me check if I've got the trans-Atlantic terminology correct here:
GEC = Grounding Electrode Conductor = the main ground lead from panel busbar to rod, yes? (What we call the main earthing conductor.)

Our "code" requires this to be one unbroken conductor - No splices or joints.
Posted By: Nick Re: Code Cycle - 09/28/01 11:16 PM
Originally posted by pauluk:
Let me check if I've got the trans-Atlantic terminology correct here:
GEC = Grounding Electrode Conductor = the main ground lead from panel busbar to rod, yes? (What we call the main earthing conductor.)

Our "code" requires this to be one unbroken conductor - No splices or joints.

You have got it! But the grounding electrode conductor conects to the grounding electrod which can be many other thigs in addition to a rod.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Code Cycle - 09/28/01 11:29 PM
A buried mesh electrode perhaps? Or are you implying that you can still use a water pipe as a main ground, as was common here up to the 1950s?
© ECN Electrical Forums