ECN Forum
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Plugtail - 07/07/04 12:39 AM
Has anybody looked at these yet? http://www.passandseymour.com/whatsnew/plugtail.html . I wonder what the long term reliablity will be, and how well that thing in the back stays in.
Posted By: e57 Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 01:06 AM
Our usual rocker crew will have a hay day with those! Guarranteed to have every wire, and that plug tore up, bag and plug full of mud.
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 01:23 AM
Did everyone notice that in the picture the outlet is installed gound pin up? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 01:43 AM
I wonder if they'll eventually come in "audio grade"... [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Sorry folks, I just couldn't resist!

Actually, it does look pretty slick.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 02:59 AM
Sir Arcs — You could always buy a Dewar of liquid nitrogen and make your own. www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=audio+grade+cryogenic+receptacle
Posted By: JCooper Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 03:51 AM
So do you think they use 12 or 14 awg wire on the pigtail, and how would that affect the install if put on a 20 amp circ?
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 04:28 AM
"Did everyone notice that in the picture the outlet is installed gound pin up?"

Yes, I noticed that it was upside down, too! It even has writing on it that's right reading when it's rightside up, and they still got it wrong. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 32VAC Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 10:25 AM
www.clipsal.com/quickconnect/quickconnect.cfm
shows a different method of connecting to outlets using insulation displacement connectors
Posted By: Fred Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 11:23 AM
The cut sheet says the PlugTail conductors are #12 THHN copper conductor, 6" leads, stripped, solid or stranded and rated as permanent part of the device.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Plugtail - 07/07/04 09:47 PM
It looks a little odd at first, but thinking about it further it should be all right so long as the actually connectors are tight.

It looks as though they might be a slight variation on the 1/4-inch spade terminals which are common in automotive applications. The latter stand up to high-ish currents at low voltages, with lots of movement and vibration.
© ECN Electrical Forums