ECN Forum
Posted By: CTwireman Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 02:09 AM
This comment on Mike Holt's forum got my attention:

Posted Dec 5, 8:31 PM
http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004735.html

[Linked Image]

Arrogance second only to ECN???

If recent events here say anything, the people here are anything but arrogant. When someone makes a comment like that, I have to speak up.

I find this forum to be much friendlier than MH, where flame wars are a regular occurence.

[This message has been edited by CTwireman (edited 12-05-2002).]
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 03:12 AM
I thought about posting a reply to that comment, but then again, what would it accomplish. I flamed MarkW on this forum once, and I still feel bad about it. Other than that I haven't really seen any flaming going on here, and I like it that way. The fact is, I come here to have fun, and socialize with people I would otherwise never have a chance to meet. Flaming is just so negative, and usually is a result of pride. The old "I'm smarter than you syndrome" must be alive and well over there. I've posted there a few times, but never felt "at home", so I've limited my time there. The fact is, arrogance is every where, but making "that" accusation against this forum really shows "igorance" of what the people of this forum are all about. As they say "igorance is bliss", and if that person wants to live in his igorance, and is happy about missing out on the benefits of being a part of this forum, then he is better off by not posting here. The "shoe on the other foot", we are better off without him, or the rest of the "lot" over there.
If memory serves me, Bill "tossed" a few people for causing trouble here.
I would further add, to the credit of all the members here, that "bridling of the keys" is a phrase that would describe the atmosphere here. Case in point, the female who was "advertising" her product here on the forum, could have caused a major flame war, but members pointed out that she should promote her product else where. Problem solved. If arrogance was a problem here, I think "the record" would show it (by record I mean the archives).
It wouldn't suprise me to see someone from the MH forum respond to this post, and perhaps flame me, but I'm stating in advance, I'm not going to argue with anyone who is not a regular participant of this forum about this issue.

Bridle in hand, bit in mouth,
Doc
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 03:24 AM
Well said Doc!

What set me off was that the comment was made in complete ignorance of the outpouring of generosity for Virgil, among many other great things that happen here.

I agree, I don't feel "at home" at MH the way I do here.

I think the professional attitude and ability of folks here to avoid conflict in an intelligent manner is what makes ECN great!
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 04:04 AM
I've spent very little time at the other BBs. Like you said, this is home.

Besides, I consider being called arrogant a compliment! Heck, I'm conceited too! Well, sometimes I am.

Seriously, I wonder how such a perspective came about?
Besides, half the posters on that thread were active ECN members!

Odd!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 04:50 AM
Whole-heartedly agree with your first line
Sparky66wv, why need you look elsewhere?.
It's all here, minus the snide remarks!.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wirewiz Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 05:15 AM
I still visit the site now and then, I like this one much better!! [Linked Image] You just can't beat the ECN. I am here for information and fun, and offer my 2 cents when I think it might be of need to someone else. Not enough time in the day to waste time flaming back and forth.

wirewiz
Posted By: Elzappr Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 07:02 AM
Seems like a mis-statement. Maybe he meant to say "expertise" or maybe "advise"?
Posted By: sparky Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 10:59 AM
I've posted 3500 times here in the last 2 yrs, learned quite a lot (thank you all) and have been corrected ad nasuem ( humble pie al a mode diet)
It's great to be in a group of my proffessional counterparts wheer i can do this, hands down.

on the other claw....

i'm an EC. now think about this for a second....everything you say, do, wear, drive, etc. is part of that persona, and subject to scrutinization by those whom would question your intergrity i.e.~ clients,peers,AHJ's, and a hords of domineering trade associations.

live hand to mouth with your back up against that wall.

would that maybe make one arrogant? maybe , maybe not.....personally i perfer the term 'acerbic'
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 10:59 AM
We should not worry about that comment made by someone who was not very clear!

I am responsible for many changes on another board that I moderate, and here where I moderate the Electrical Code Violations area.

I have the responsibility of maintaining the sites, and have removed many comments, some of which were not related to the subject and off color.

I think we would all agree that our time is valuable, and should not be wasted.

In the past, there were a few members who really used to enjoy "flaming" and thanks to our leader are no longer allowed to sit at our table.

I do however, appreciate seeing the names and backgrounds of many of the members here when reading the messages on Mike's board because that board requires that information and does not allow blind, or empty spaces in the profiles.

Look here for flames:

[Linked Image from mylocal3.com]
http://www.mikeholt.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/004735.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 12-06-2002).]
Posted By: mamills Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 04:06 PM
Arrogance at ECN...I think not!!

I've been a member of this forum for about 1-1/2 years now, and I value every second of it. I have made no pretentions about being an electrician - when compared to the other good members of this forum, the knowledge I have of the electrical world would fit on the head of a pin...with much room to spare [Linked Image]. Nonetheless, you have accepted me as a member of the group and have provided a place where I can enrich myself daily.

The matters of recent days are testament to the graciousness and helpful spirit of ECN to all. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 04:54 PM
CT:
I am short on time at the moment, but I had to e-mail the gentlemen who made the "arrogant" comment. It will be interesting to see if I get a reply here or in my e-mail
Got to go...
John
Posted By: pauluk Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 05:18 PM
Arrogance? I don't think so......

I've arrived on ECN a little over 15 months ago as a British engineer who had spent time in America and knew only a little about American wiring practices and the NEC.

I asked plenty of questions, many of which might have had obvious answers to those who grew-up with the NEC and U.S. wiring, yet everyone here was willing to take the time to explain things to a foreigner. In my time at ECN I have learned much about the NEC and general U.S. practices.

I know that in return many of you who have been interested in how things are done elsewhere have put a fair amount of time in reading my rambling about U.K. wiring and practices, and some of the discussions which have arisen from our differences have been most enlightening to all concerned.

I hardly think that the friendship and attitudes I've encountered on ECN could in any way be called arrogant.
Posted By: j a harrison Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 07:09 PM
Arrogence? here on ECN ?

No way.

I am the same as Pauluk, British electrician still working in Britain, but we cant have it all can we.

Having commented on numerous threads within this BB it is always a very enlightening place to visit.

I dont care, personally, what other sites do , as a member I am happy to be here and thankful the other members accept me for what i am and dont ridicule me for lack of knowledge within the NEC or your wiring practices, ( i am getting ther, honest )

There is, in my mind only one ECN that is this one.

Any one want my Soap box now.

J A Harrison
Proud to be an electrician. !!
Posted By: Redsy Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 07:12 PM
Anyone who calls this crew arrogant hasn't hung in long enough to realize he is speaking out of ignorance!
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 07:36 PM
Y'all let me in, that might count for something other than arrogance! [Linked Image]
TW
Posted By: lwinter31 Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 07:48 PM
I've only been here a month or so, and have seen nothing of the sort.

All the members here are kind and more than willing to help others by sharing thier knowledge.

I enjoy learning from those (many here) that have 10-20 fold years experience more than I.

ECN is uneqaled by any I've seen.

Thanks to all here.

[This message has been edited by lwinter31 (edited 12-06-2002).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 09:41 PM
Geez, computer goes down for a day and I miss all the fun!
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 09:56 PM
If this group were "arrogant," y'all wouldn't be giving me the time of day!!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

--
Sven (_NOT_ an electrician)
Posted By: sparky Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/06/02 11:19 PM
overall no.... we're not arrogant....

now that site Joe posted is the absolute epitomy of the word , add greed, discrimination , ego......

i'm sorry i registered there
Posted By: circuit man Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/07/02 01:11 AM
boy some people love to talk about arogance! they jump in the water before they know the temp.i've been here about a year, & have learnd quite a deal from a great group. keep up the good work guys!ERWIN
Posted By: electure Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/07/02 01:40 AM
Arrogance??
(As I sit looking in the mirror thinking this is how Elvis would've looked if he'd only lived this long...fat & bald).
I've eaten so much Crow from saying blunderous crap on this forum that I've got black feathers flying out every time I smile.
I've learned more here than 20 yrs of subscriptions to all the trade mags.
That said, I shall now rest...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-06-2002).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/07/02 02:02 AM
[Linked Image from mylocal3.com]
No Flames Please!
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/07/02 02:08 AM
I saw that thread only after the original text was editted. It was quoted by a member, and the quote contained the original text.

My $0.02 on this subject:

First off, that was completely uncalled for! I have seen a few instances here which brought up some arrogance, but this was on extremely rare occasions and was "Called For" due to the topics and events!

Secondly, the MHE forum has become very "Hot"! I spend very little time there, having just started to view the site again.

Lastly, the majority of flame wars broke out there around 2001. Prior to this, it was a fun site to be involved with, and I visited regularly.
It was the MHE forum that brought me in touch with ECN! If arrogance was an issue here, I would have been ace'd [86'd] long ago!!!

I value this forum [ECN]!!! The fact that Bill has allowed me to be a Moderator here is outstanding, which I take great pride in!
The fact remains, I would have never known about ECN, had I not been an active member at the MHE forum.
As a result, this means I would have never learned all the stuff I did from all you people here - placing me far behind my current knowledge base!

Need to stop writing, due to tears! [Linked Image]

Scott s.e.t.
Posted By: Admin Re: Arrogance at ECN? - 12/07/02 02:11 AM
Nice Picture Joe!

Thank You ALL for your support.
Shooting back doesn't help anything.
I think it best that we move on now.
© ECN Electrical Forums