ECN Forum
Posted By: Wirenuttt Tape measures - 11/25/02 12:39 AM
How many tape measures have you gone through in your career so far? Is there any type you think that can take the abuse in the field? So far the FAT MAX has been the only one I've managed to keep around for a while.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 12:43 AM
I have the fat max and it is pretty good. Extends out pretty far without bending. The belt clip seems to come loose, or off, sometimes. My supplier replaced it once no questions asked!
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 12:45 AM
Stanley "Max Steel" 25'. Been going strong for 4 years now. I've thrown it in fits of anger, dropped it, abused it, etc and it's been great. Best $14 I ever spent. Watch, it will probably break next time I use it. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 12:47 AM
Scott,

CLS by any chance? they are one of the few distibutors that actually carries Stanley around here. Otherwise you have to go to Big Blue or Big Orange.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 12:55 AM
CLS is my main supplier (great guys). I use the Worcester MA branch. They went on a Stanley kick for a while but the stuff has all been removed. They said it wasn't selling probably because the depot carried it also.
Posted By: txsparky Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 01:53 AM
For me,the best has been Klein by far.The 1 that I have now I bought 5 years ago.At first I balked at the $25 price but with Kleins reputation and 100% replacement guarantee with the local supply house,I figured "What the hey".It has taken quite a few drops from 25+,and still works and looks like new.Never had any other brand last this long.
Posted By: fla sparkey Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 02:20 AM
I will admit that I have had a few tape measures over the years. I have mostly owned Sears craftsman though. Whenever I have had a problem with one I simply take it back and they exchange it for a new one free. The one I have now I have been using for about 2 years.
Posted By: Electric Eagle Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 03:16 AM
IMHO, you can't beat a Fat Max. Their drywall saw is pretty good too!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 03:35 AM
At the risk of {nitromethane!} flames, does anyone use a folding wood rule? When packing tools—there were areas that prohibited "metal measuring devices," like most switchgear rooms.
Posted By: arseegee Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 04:08 AM
Gotta go with the Max Steel by Stanley. The Fat Max is a little too FAT for a comfortable grip for me.

I wish someone would come out with a "helpers tape measure" with a 50% easy read scale on the back of the tape. I love watching a helper trying to figure out the center of a room that is 173 3/16" wide!

Maybe they could sell it here.

[This message has been edited by arseegee (edited 11-24-2002).]
Posted By: txsparky Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 04:28 AM
Bjarney,
The owner of a company I worked for would hardly use anything but a wooden rule.Being limited to 6 foot looked like a pain in the a** to me.I never used one.I figgered it was a northern thang(he was from Long Island)
Posted By: sparky Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 11:36 AM
yes Bjarney,
I have worked with 'salts', who had educated me to the evils of metal rules.

However even wood is not completely dielectric......so comes the false sense of security.....
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 01:45 PM
Fat Max here. Stanley tape measures have always been the best to me. To me the worst thing is finding a way to keep them on your belt. They always fall off.

Regards,
Doc
Posted By: Matt M Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 02:13 PM
Bjarney,

Although I don't bend conduit nearly as much now that I work as a maintenance electrician as I use to when I worked construction, I prefer to use a wooden folder for bending conduit. They're very handy for finding center on the bends. I also use a 25' Fat Max. Matt
Posted By: pauluk Re: Tape measures - 11/25/02 09:44 PM
I'm currently using Stanley tapes -- Had to have my current 15' one shipped from Arizona so I could have one which read in inches across the whole width (it's practically impossible to buy tapes without metric graduations on in this country now).

I still have an old folding wooden rule (1 yard) which I find handy in some situations.
Posted By: CanadianSparky Re: Tape measures - 11/26/02 01:15 AM
Had a funny tape measure story today, plumbing company owner comes on site and starts going off on his guys about proper heights. Says to his guys "Half you guys can't read a tape measure and the other half don't even own one." Our owners first question to every green horn looking for a job is "Can you read a tape measure?" Its funny how many guys have never been near one.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Tape measures - 11/26/02 01:52 AM
Stanley Max Steel.

I'm getting the new Klein with the magnets next...

One week while at a factory, I went through three tapes from dropping them at various heights when trying to place it in my belt pocket...

Later, I learned that if I removed the belt clip, it was less likely to get hung and feel falsely "secure" on the belt pocket. Hadn't dropped one since!
Posted By: MinElectrcn Re: Tape measures - 11/26/02 03:15 AM
I have always thought of my Klein tape as my chevy.. costs a little more but takes alot more.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Tape measures - 11/26/02 03:17 AM
I like using a Wooden Foldable Rule for things like marking the mounting height for Receptacles and Switches
(like a Story Pole),
along with Conduit work
(measurements to a given spot for bends, depth of saddles, also when making multiple similar saddles, offsets or 90's).

Had a really bitchen one which sprouted legs and ran off around 1998. Brought it out rarely to avoid the "Run-Away" situation as long as possible!
Had it from 1982 to 1998 - making it the longest period of time I held onto a Measuring Device before it was broken or disappeared / MIA. <Yeah, Baby!!!> [Linked Image]

I have several measures now, ranging from a 16' "thin blade" Klein, to a 100' "roll" tape.
I use a bright orange " 'El Cheap-O " 25' "fat blade" tape on the job, which so far has not vanished!

Have to deal with not just people in the field taking off with tools, but my Father tends to grab tools, then toss them into his Van when finished. They end up inside one of the many "Potpourri" boxes, so instead of searching aimlessly for days, I just go buy a new tool.

BTW, where can I find another kick a** Wooden Folding Measure? Something about 15' long with 1" minimum width.

Scott s.e.t.
Posted By: CRW Re: Tape measures - 11/26/02 04:34 AM
Craftsman 25' yellow w/ black rubber. Sturdy, locks down tight, when it goes bad, return it to Sears no questions asked.
© ECN Electrical Forums