ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 164 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
dsk, tortuga
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#222500 02/14/2024 8:54 PM
by dsk
dsk
Here in Norway it is strictly forbidden to put up a grounded outlet without proper grounding, but if I remember right; the US NEC will not forbid to put up a grounded outlet without a ground wire if you have a GFCI.

Any body who know anything about this, or at least has any ideas?
Liked Replies
#222501 Feb 15th a 06:37 PM
by Bill Addiss
Bill Addiss
Correct, as a replacement:

406.4(D)(2)(c) permits a non-grounding receptacle to be replaced by a grounding type if fed thru a GFCI and clearly marked (after installation) "GFCI Protected" and "No Equipment Ground"
1 member likes this
#222504 Feb 16th a 03:37 PM
by gfretwell
gfretwell
I always point out that you should verify there is no ground actually present before going this route. There was a period in the post WWII years where they were using an NM cable with a ground but still using non grounded receptacles (NEMA 1-15). In that case the box will be grounded but no provisions for a grounded plug cap. In that case you could use the existing ground for a NEMA 5-15 grounded receptacle. The only question is whether you should trust the "self grounding" type or pigtail a ground in from the box, I prefer the latter.
The other issue is the ground in that old Romex is a reduced size but a 16ga wire should still be sufficient to clear a fault on a 15a breaker.
1 member likes this
#222548 Mar 31st a 03:34 PM
by CoolWill
CoolWill
I'm not arguing against any of that. I think my point is being missed because I'm not good at explaining things. My point, ultimately, is grounding things doesn't necessarily make them safer, much as ungrounded things doesn't necessarily make them dangerous. I sometimes get calls from customers about home inspections that note ungrounded receptacles. As much as I would like to say just rewire the house, honesty wins. I told one recently that it be ideal to have new wiring, but the reality is that it would be really hard to get shocked on a carpeted floor inside a house.
1 member likes this
#222549 Mar 31st a 08:08 PM
by gfretwell
gfretwell
Add to that most equipment doesn't have a ground pin anyway. wink
I lived the first 15 year of my life with 2 pin (NEMA 1-50) receptacles and never really even noticed.
1 member likes this