ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 402 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
You guys made me do my homework on this one.
Let me start by saying I would approve the installation as described. [Linked Image]
Now the reasons why.
Section 300.15 was completely re-written for the 1999 Code "for clarity". [Linked Image]
300.15(F) used to be 300.15 (b) in the 1996 Code and was definately refering to a transition of raceway to cable. That is why the Handbook makes that point.
If you have an older Code book you can look it up. 300.15 used to have many exceptions.

If you have the references you can check the 1998 NEC ROP item 3-106 (Log # 704)

[Linked Image] I believe that this does need a proposal to clarify that 300.15(F) applies only to cable fittings.

You made me work to earn a beer on this one. [Linked Image]
(Don't throw away those old ROPs & ROCs they sometimes wxplain what the CMP was trying to do when they changed the Code.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Now that computers are taking over the code book, I think it would be good if you could buy a CD/DVD with footnotes that reference the ROP/ROC language that resulted in the code we use. It would be hard to do, going backward but trivial going forward.

Greg Fretwell
R
Now that computers are taking over the code book, I think it would be good if you could buy a CD/DVD with footnotes that reference the ROP/ROC language that resulted in the code we use.
Get a copy of the "preprint" or draft of the code. All of the changes have the proposal number listed so you can read the ROP info. The draft is free and you can download it from the NFPA or call 800-344-3555 and request that they send you a hard copy. Here is an example from the 2008 preprint:
(B) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits installed in dwelling units shall
be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination type installed to provide protection of the branch circuit. [ROP 2–105, 2–142, 2–111]
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Cat Servant
SandSnow, UL simply stated that:

" EMT connectors had straight threads, locknuts, and were evaluated attached through holes.

All hubs had tapered threads, and were evalusted using tapered fittings."

Not an exact quote... but close enough (I believe).

In other words, UL was saying "We don't know- because we don't test things that way."

In a similar discussion, one person averred that 'if a listed connector existed in a catalog, he would reject the use of any field assembly to do the same job.' I don't believe that the code supports that position.

Why? Because existance in a catalog does not always mean the item is readily available. Heck, I can't even get #2 white wire from the "worlds largest distributor-" unless I want to order 3000 ft, and wait indefinitely for a special production run!
(Yet I've run into 'inspectors' who said code did not allow the use of tape for marking, as it was not sufficiently permanent!)

My personal view... with the exception of 'running thread,' (which code specifically prohibits using with couplings), I hold that any connector with pipe threads is allowed to be used with any threaded opening. So 'field engineer' to your heats' content!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard