ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 435 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
I use them when doing a PCV service riser, but the local POCO doesn't.

The cost of a plastic bushing ($0.50 -.75?) is worth the peace of mind.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

R
OK I respectfully disagree with some of you based on "a bushing or adapter " In my opinion here`s the deal With a metal fitting with smooth rounded edges I need no bushing unless I go over 4awg then 300.4f applies.Well a pvc male adapter has smooth rounded edges and is insulated.And quite frankly if someone bends a conductor over a 2 inch m/a and cuts a wire thet have more serious violations than a bushing.These wires come strait out of pipe to lugs and hardly touch the pipe. The problem is not the bushings its actually the 50.00 reinspect fee. For what is a questionable violation.Is an pvc Male adapter insulated(yes) Is it manufactured with a smooth rounded edge (yes)Did I damage any conductors in the pull (no)Is it likely in any form future damage will occur(no)Did I fail the inspection (YES)Will I use bushings in this application next time (YES)I think if I were to go to judge Wapner he`d agree based on the wording of the code I`m minimally compliant but compliant none the less. And guys I rarely fail inspections I feel the code is min and I rarely fall into the min catagory.Goerge and Don do you really feel that strong about it being a violation based on the wording of the code?

G
I see your point. The code does say "unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection." (352.46)
and 300.4(f) says "protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface."

I think these articles are really talking about protecting metal fittings but that is not what it says

If the manufacturer would simply make the end of the PVC male adapter rounder there wouldn't really be an issue IMHO but when I looked at the larger sizes I have from Carlon they make the edges very square. Being the skeptic I am I think it is on purpose so they can sell more bushings.

Greg Fretwell
A
The wording of the Code does not distinguish between metal and non metal raceways & fittings. It is a Code violation.
The lack of connectors and bushings is most commonly seen on large service panels with bottom feeds.
I have not seen conductor damage with PVC conduit that didn't have the bushings and I have looked at a lot of services.
[Linked Image] I have heard that bushings can be cut and reglued if the wires have already been pulled and the inspector won't know. [Linked Image]
Alan--(Inspector)

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
R
Is an pvc Male adapter insulated(yes) Is it manufactured with a smooth rounded edge (yes)
I don't agree with the second statement. The box adapters shown on the first page of this document have smooth rounded edges.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
R
Well this just in: The inspector agrees somewhat with my conclusions. He realizes I always call for clarifications on questionable interpitations.So we`ve agreed I`ll give the bushings he`ll give the sticker I keep the 50.00 reinspection fee.I called State board and they also agreed that in the wording the male adapter would seem to sufice with pvc but it leaves some interpitation and they wouldn`t over rule the local inspector.I never mentioned any names or location only what county I was in so I thanked the inspector for my 50.00.All is well.
PS I left a bushing on his desk as we walked out of the office

G
Here's my problem, we've found in the code that we need a bushing on installations with conductors #4 AWG and larger so now your asking me to selectively enforce the code because your job appearently went in without damaging the conductors. You've already said that from now on you'll use bushings. I'm glad the inspector was a fair individual and I will be the first to admit that inspectors are somewhat like people. They are all different, we'll leave it at that. So now I approve your job because the conductors were not damaged and your competition learns about this and I ask your competition to install bushings and he says "You didn't make Reel-Break install bushings, how come I have too?" As inspectors we have to be consistent or we're doomed as inspectors. We may be consistently wrong, but we're consistent. Put the bushings in gentlemen, don't ask me to break the law.

George Little
R
George I still respectfully disagree with your interitation.I think the artical 300.4f is for metal conductors not a pvc plastic insulated smooth rounded male adapter.But apparently you totally didn`t understand my post I did go back and install the bushings. He didn`t make me pay the re inspection fee of 50.00.I can`t see how you read 300.4f and don`t think a plastic male adapter is not a insulating fitting with smooth rounded edges.Goerge I`d hope you also could straddle the fence and see this is really not a clear issue due to the nature of wording.I`m not saying I`m correct but I`m not wrong if you read the words look at the pvc male adapter. Well I`m moving on now no need to keep this up.Do you at least agree reading the code how I could make the assumption the male adapter was ok.If so I`d hope you`d be as professional as my inspector was.We both win He got the bushing I`m not out 50.00 for a honest easily made assumption that could very well could been made by anyone.Reading the words of the code artical.

I do thank you guys for the feed back it makes us all better.And a diagreement is mearly a different opinion on the same matter with 2 veiw points.Thanks again Mike

G
George 300.4(F) never mentions a bushing, that is all what an inspector decides is a "protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface".
If someone took a minute to "smooth" the edge on a PVC male adapter fitting I am not sure how you could fail them using anything but opinion. The code doesn't back you up. I will say the ones I saw right out of the box do not have a smoothly rounded edge. It is a sharp 90 degree angle. Since the radius of that "rounded" edge is not defined, anything that knocked the point off would be round.

Greg Fretwell
G
Read it again Greg-the part after the exception talks about bushings. Hey - We're talking what 50 cents? I can't round the surface of a male adaptor then argue with some narrow minded inspector who wants a reinspect fee for 50 cents. What if I used an insuliner (spelling) when I foget or don't have a bushing?

And another thing 352.46 does spell out a Bushing or adaptor. But this could be subject to the discretion of the AHJ I guess.

[This message has been edited by George Little (edited 05-12-2006).]

George Little
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard